Locking Wheel Nut Key Snapped

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking Wheel Nut Key Snapped

There I was changing over to my winter rims and got to my last wheel and the locking wheel nut key
    Snapped off i inside the nut and now I can't get it out of the bolt any idea ????

You might be able to grip it with bolt extractors

http://www.irwin.com/tools/browse/sc...olt-extractors

Comment

Yeah, swot I'd with too

You might just get away with tapping the right sized (metric or imperial) normal socket on (not a hex head/drive)

But those bolt extractors are tougher and built for that specific job.

I'veactually had the wigglybit come adrift from the inside of the locking tool !.. McGard might have a reasonably good rep but thet can fall to bits over the years.
      I've spent £58+vat this time on smarts up-market locking set )
      Last edited by 10:45PM; 23-11-15, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Cheers for the input guys I was going to drill it but found my drills just aren't up to the job
        so I ended up dropped it off at a VW place at the end of the road just hoping they don't mess
        Up the rim .

For now I think I'll just do without any locking nuts, maybe when I put my alloys back on in May
        I'll get another set
        But cheers again I will let you know how I get on

Comment

Thats it I got my car back today €100 later but lucky the alloy wasn't touched so all good in the end
          Last edited by bazza.; 24-11-15, 09:54 PM. Reason: adding a photo

Comment

**** me !!!!!! , €100 !!!!, at least Dick Turpin wore a mask

Comment

I was thinking that wasn't bad compared to the last serve 2 months ago which cost about £1000
              How much would it be to have a bolt drilled out and 4 new nuts by in the UK

Comment

There are no wheel nuts on the smart

New bolts (normal) would probably be 2 or 3 quid each at a guess?.... a new set of locking bolts (McGard just like the ones that broke) are about £35 full retail, but you can find them as low as £15 if you shop around

Comment

For now I don't think I'm going to get any locking bolts may wait till the summer time when I get my alloys back on

Comment

I bought a spare set for our other smart but made sure they were the same keycode so I have two keys for this very reason.
                    ​The OEM locking bolts are made by McGard for Smart and you can order spare keys from McGard directly.

Comment

Turns out it was the outed side of the bolt which snapped off so thats why I've got rid of them all
                      When I first looked I was thinking it was the key. Id only just changed the brakes the month
                      Before and greased the bolts before fitting the wheels back on
                      I'm going to keep it on my winter rims till April so I'm not going to worry about getting a new set until
                      I put my alloys back on
                      Plus the car drives so much better on the lighter smaller steel rims and feels faster of the mark
                      Last edited by bazza.; 30-11-15, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Greetings, "feels faster off the mark" - you must have added some chrome, somewhere?
                        Chrome titbits, always make a car go faster.
                        Been there done that with a wheel bolt that won't undo, either a 'keyed' bolt or just a normal one with the corners rounded off, so the socket won't grip when you put a bit of force on it.
                        Yep, the answer is to 'donate' a suitable socket to the job. By donate, I really mean 'allow it to be destroyed'.
                        But before you hammer the socket on over the wheel bolt head, apply a generous coating of course valve grinding paste to both the bolt and socket. May take a couple of goes to get it right, but 99.9% of the time the little bugger will give in and allow you to undo it.
                        PS, if anybody has a fettish for a genuine Roadster, rear 17" Brabus alloy, in reasonable condition, needs a refurbish, spins true, very slightly curbed but basically has gone the way of most, just letting the paint delaminate - let me know,
                        Merry New Year.
                        Cheers, Ian.

Comment

The reason I'd say it feels faster is that the steels are only 15'' were as the alloys are 17'' which the car was never designed for
                          and are much lighter and the ride is better as the profile is greater

Comment

Steels are usually lighter than alloy rims.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X