Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Coil Pack - Out of depth!

Complete novice at car repair!

Trying to replace coil pack 1 on my roadster. Iv undone everything I can and it wiggles in place but cant get it out. Do I need to remove the part I have pointed out in this photo, and If so, can anyone point me in the direction of how!?

edit 1.jpg

Remove the other (auxiliary air valve) retaining bolt and if it doesn't move enough out of the way, refit both retaining bolts and slacken the big bolt (half visible at the lower edge of pic) in the banjo fitting of the steel pipe. Re-remove the two retaining bolts and there should be room to release the coil.

Comment

Hope you use the right type spark plug cap puller and do not pull on the high tension leads like most garage mechanics.

Here is a tool I made a couple of years ago when fault finding misfire on a petrol 450.

Made from a 22mm diameter Wimpey waterpipe with hacksaw, files and plenty of good elbow grease.

Reason for the misfire was a couple of the leads were knackered and shorted in the plug caps. All leads had jaw marks made by pliers.

PS. Above is a multi function tool. Works also very well as an apple corer.

Comment

Originally posted by tolsen View Post

PS. Above is a multi function tool. Works also very well as an apple corer.
        An almond is all you're lacking to make an edible candle.....

Comment

Thanks all.

Thrumbleux, Ill give that a go, thanks! Didnt know what this part was and if undoing it might cause stuff to leak everywhere! (proper novice!)

Tolsen. I used a straight plug puller very similer to the one you posted to pull the lower ends of the leads, however the top ones are angled such that a solid straight puller cant get onto them (or at least for this coil pack it was). As the pack was ruined anyway I just pliered the lead out, hence the remains of the lead still in there you can see in the photo. The leads were shot anyway so some new leads are on the way!

Comment

Not a bad thing renewing the leads although I wouldn’t unless they were faulty.
            Strange the top plug caps are hard to get to. On the 450 it is no 2 or is it no 3 lower that causes trouble. Thrumbleu will know since his is a 450 petrol.
            For my 450, the service book states there is no need to change the spark plugs. Of course mine is a diesel but why put such silly advise in an official Smart service book?
            By the way now approaching 250,000 km. Will soon have driven all the way from the earth to the moon.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X