Smart 452 won't start...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart 452 won't start...

hiya guys and girls, first post and as is normal its because I have a problem...

I have a Smart 452 and it's been under covers for at least 3 years, thankfully the SAM unit hasn't suffered as it still powers up... but it won't start.

I've fitted a new battery and it sounds like it's trying to crank over but really cannot be bothered, from my own research this would tell me the starter motor is not the issue (but if i'm wrong then i'll happily take it on board and investigate the part) and that the alternator has siezed up. What would your thoughts be on this??

Regards

Pete "PizzaDude"

If it's being slow cranking, check all electrical leads ie earths.
    If it's cranking fast enough but not catching - stale fuel.

Comment

• Pizzadude452
      Pizzadude452 commented
      Editing a comment
      I managed to get it to fire up twice but it was smoking like a thing possessed, as i applied a bit more throttle the smoke got a bit worse and then it died out.

from what i can see all the pulleys are turning and all the earths are good. how can i drain the fuel out? (and im assuming a new filter should be in order?)

Sounds to me like you may have a stuck alternator after the long rest.
    Moisture can cause rust between stator and rotor preventing it from turning.
    Remove drivebelt to see if it then starts.
    A rusted rotor can subseqently usually be loosened with a spanner on the
    alternator shaft nut plus some rust remover sprayed into the alternator.
    Bjorn

Comment

• Pizzadude452
      Pizzadude452 commented
      Editing a comment
      banged a load of WD40 in it and gave it a good crank with a breaker bar, could be a tensioner??

Given it started - fuel is fine. Stale fuel impacts on cold starting - and not much else.

You need to ascertain exactly where the smoke is coming from. You say 'breaker bar' on alternator. It should move easily by hand (belt removed, obviously).
    Last edited by Thrumbleux; 24-10-18, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• Pizzadude452
      Pizzadude452 commented
      Editing a comment
      socket bar about 12" long but not ratcheted, it moved without having to really give it some power but it made turning it a lot easier, my wife who was at the back said it was a fairly white smoke coming from the looks to me to be the exhaust manifold but ill see if i can post a picture

from somewhere around the 3 pipes and the fuel pressure regulator
    Attached Files

Comment

Re alternator and breaker bar - the force you describe - was that with belt removed?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X