Suplex coil spring confusion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suplex coil spring confusion

I have evidence that Suplex has lost track and incorrectly marked at least one lot of rear coil springs for the Smart Roadster.

Here is the story:

I ordered a pair of Suplex 19265 coil springs. These are standard rear springs for the Roadster.

Suplex 19265, Length = 239 mm, Wiresize = 10.25 mm, Coil Outer Diameter = 99 mm.

I only received one spring from Suplex, the second spring on a back order. Surprisingly, the received spring was both shorter and have thicker wire size than that specified in spite of being identified by a sticker stating Suplex 19265.

So I measure the dimensions of the spring received and conclude Suplex UK Ltd has sent me this one which is intended for the Roadster Brabus:

Suplex 19277, Length = 205mm, Wiresize = 10.50 mm, Coil Outer Diameter = 103 mm.

Wonder if anyone else have had same problem when ordering Suplex springs?

My supplier has confirmed I can keep the non conforming spring. Anyone needing a very cheap rear coil spring for a Roadster Brabus, please shout. Fee equivalent to two pints of good ale (Aberdeenshire prices) plus postage at Royal Mail prices (GBP 3.80 for 2nd class).

Re: Suplex coil spring confusion

No, I'm gonna make a guess here but Suplex springs are budget springs right?
    Maybe their manufacturing process isn't all that precise.

Comment

Suplex has its quality system certified to IS0 9001 by TÜV.

I just read following text in the Suplex spring catalogue:

The Right Spring for Every Car.
      Precise manufacture is one cornerstone in our business, precise cataloguing is another. There is little point exercising great attention during design and manufacturing process if the spring then is incorrectly catalogued.

I can't agree more with above statement. A real pity then that Suplex failed to correctly mark these springs.

Apart from the marking error, there is nothing wrong with these springs.

Material is standard chrome, vanadium and silicon chrome allow steels.

Springs are shot peened after forming to improve their fatigue life.

Springs are phosphate coated for better corrosion protection and epoxy powder coated for tough finish.

Comment

Can't be much worse than the original equipment versions to be fair.

Comment

Originally posted by J500ANT View Post
          Can't be much worse than the original equipment versions to be fair.
          I agree fully having just broken my 10th or 11th spring. In support of J500ANT's statement I can confirm my Chinese made Anschler front springs are performing very well. At least 2 years of service without any fractures. That is why I recently ordered a pair of Suplex standard rear Roadster springs. The presumably far eastern origin, larger diameter bar and otherwise dimensions similar to the standard 450 rear springs should in theory result in much longer service life due to substantially reduced material stress.
          Last edited by tolsen; 17-04-14, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tolsen View Post
            The Right Spring for Every Car.
            Precise manufacture is one cornerstone in our business, precise cataloguing is another. There is little point exercising great attention during design and manufacturing process if the spring then is incorrectly catalogued.

Then they sent you a left one....

Comment

Originally posted by Thrumbleux View Post
              Then they sent you a left one....
              Yes, nearly true. They sent me the only spring they had left, hence reason why I only received a single spring and not a pair.

Comment

Maybe you should wait before getting rid of this rogue spring, the replacement might be the same, at least you'll have a pair.
                In 10 years I have never had a broken spring. If you want more comfort, you need progressive springs.

Comment

Originally posted by Evilution View Post
                  ... If you want more comfort, you need progressive springs.
                  Progressive springs for the 450 are only available as lowering springs. No good for me as I need some ground clearance. Comfort and handling can be greatly improved by fitting acceleration sensitive damping" or "ASD" shock absorbers. Regrettably none are available for Smarts at the moment.

Comment

An engineer such as yourself would be able to make extended spring cups to increase ride height and use progressive lowered springs.

Comment

My new rear springs have finally arrived. The supplier shipped a pair of KYB RC6390 for same price as the Suplex. The KYB appear substandard compared to the Suplex as rather poor paint finish on KYB with bare steel visible in the most critical area where these springs usually snap off.

Comment

I have experience of a KYB spring (front 450), they are rubbish.

cheers!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X