Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smart car horn not working :( not the fuse.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart car horn not working :( not the fuse.

The horn on my car has stopped working. It works for a second then stops. The fuse should be fine as everything else powered by it is working.

How can i get to the horn to replace it? is it a hard job?

If we need to go to a garage does anyone know an approx cost for the work?

Any information would be great.

One other thing my car is a 2002, is it correct you cant open the bonnet?

Thanks in advance

Guide to horn fault here: http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?id=698

There isn't a bonnet for you to open!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Re: Smart car horn not working not the fuse.

Looks like you need to retune your horn. Tuning screw is the sealed one on the back side of horn. Don't tune it to fine or your horn may go silent. Wonder why Evilution does not cover horn tuning on his site?

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnsmommy View Post
        ... Any information would be great....

The photo shows front of my 2002 Smart Cabrio with various bits removed. Horn (the round disc) can be seen just behind and below lower universal joint on steering column/ just to the left of arrow head for "Flow to radiator". Access is very good once front under tray is removed.
        Last edited by tolsen; 20-10-12, 07:32 PM.

Comment

my advice...... pop the front wheels on some mini ramps or jack up and axel stand the front.

drop the undertray

slide under and replace the horn with one of these from halfords (plug and play) so you have a non scooter noise

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165704

simple as

JJ

www.forfour.co.uk (tech 454) - www.quidco.com/user/417377/1833011/ (free £)

Comment

Better to retune existing horn. Aftermarket horns are not so good and come with unsealed connectors.

Comment

the standard horn is cr@p and you may as well shout out of the window

JJ

Comment

Originally posted by problemchild1976 View Post
                the standard horn is cr@p and you may as well shout out of the window

JJ
                Sound is not bad after a good tune! A "mod" well worth while.

Comment

Sorry Tolsen, I'm with JJ. The standard horn is useless much better to change it.

Comment

Originally posted by 137699 View Post
                    Sorry Tolsen, I'm with JJ. The standard horn is useless much better to change it.
                    If I lived in Palermo I would as well but this is Banchory, Scotland! The horn is hardly used except at time of MOT.

Comment

Try living in Bristol - it's a life saver! Louder the better!

My fortwo had twin air horns - if the noise didn't stop someone cutting you up then the shock wave did

(Water ingress was an issue though so swapped to the twin tones)

JJ

Comment

I lived in the centre of Palermo a few years ago. Traffic there is very different to here as there seems to be no rules or highway code.

Never did I feel there was any need to honk my horn.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully will be able to sort it out and the horn hasnt siezed. Thanks for the diagrams etc will give it ago fingers crossed

Comment

Originally posted by problemchild1976 View Post
                            Try living in Bristol - it's a life saver! Louder the better!

My fortwo had twin air horns - if the noise didn't stop someone cutting you up then the shock wave did

(Water ingress was an issue though so swapped to the twin tones)

JJ

We have air horns on all of our Smarts ( 2 sets per car ) and also found water was a pain getting into the compressor. A simple and cheap mod was to cut up a 2 litre pop bottle and make a shield for each compressor.

Comment

I have had several people advise me to change the horn and my business partner riddicules it mercilessly, but I cannot bring myself to do it because it is part of the character of the car, an angry midget with the horn of a moped.

Cheers!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X