Cabrio roof motor clicking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabrio roof motor clicking

CAn any one help? I have searched here but can't find any info on this apparently common problem.

Trying to open the cabrio roof nothing moved and a clicking noise could be heared from the rear where the roof motor is housed.It sounded like an electrical clicking noise.

After a few attempts the roof opened as normal.

Being of a certain age I realise this problem hasn't cured itself and will only get worse so the roof now remains firmly closed untill I can find a cure.

So come on Maniacs.....hit me with your knowledge.

Got no knowledge of my own .. on anything! But I can hit you with other peoples info :-)

http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php...ch&search=roof

Comment

Thanks Mark. If it is the gear that is clicking this is what it will cost

http://www.smart-stuff.co.uk/replace...rio-7470-p.asp

Ouch!!

Comment

Just buy the repair kit direct from smart, go to a dealer and buy it person. You'll get it cheaper.

Comment

Greetings, the longer you allow the clicking to happen, the more wear of the cog (s) and bowden cable shall occur. I say cog (s) because bless their cotton socks, Merc's 'fix' was to have one of the drive motors removed, which is why, in a repair kit you get two cables, one cog AND one tie wrap!! The tie wrap is to secure the other motor's plug out of harms way. BUT, before you spend many quid's on the kit, try tightening the three bolts that secure the motor(s) in place. All depends on whether one or more of the threads on the housing are 'pulled', if they are, try putting a nut in there to secure the bolt.
          You may find that the bolts have just unwound a bit and tightening them does the trick BUT DON'T over torque them, as you will pull the thread.
          Have fun - you get to do a lot of lying on your back. If you go the replacement way, make sure you have the manual drive hex tools to drive the motors by hand and use lithium grease only AND sparingly.
          Cheers, Ian.

Comment

Recently someone had a thread about cutting his own cogs. Wonder how that project went?

Comment

Thanks guys. I will try carefully tightening the three bolts first. I don't have the manual drive tool but will get them. If that fails then I will dip into my pockets.

Half the fun of our Smartie is driving with the top down so I am keen to get this right.

Comment

Greetings, so you only use it for two days of the year then? Yes, I'd want it fixed proper too, as you'd hardly like to be not able to close it when that sun shine turned liquid???
                Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad smart person View Post
                  Greetings, so you only use it for two days of the year then? Yes, I'd want it fixed proper too, as you'd hardly like to be not able to close it when that sun shine turned liquid???
                  Cheers.
                  Hah hah..Having swapped a motor bike for this Smart we like the wind in our hair. With the top down and heater full on it's pure luxury.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulleo View Post
                    Hah hah..Having swapped a motor bike for this Smart we like the wind in our hair. With the top down and heater full on it's pure luxury.

My Smart is supplemental to my motorbike ... if it's dry I'm on the bike, if it's wet or going to be wet I'm in the Smart ... just wish I had the balls to lane split in the Smart like I do on the bike ;-)

Comment

UPDATE......I managed to get the gear cog out and it looks ok. I have nothing to compare it with but the nylon cogs seem fine and the small metal one was covered in filings . When I cleaned it there is some wear but nothing excessive. The 3 securing bolts were not loose but I did tighten them a cautious 1/4 turn each. I noticed the connector block was loose and had disconnected itself when I took the housing off. I wonder if that was the problem but then again if that were the case there would be no clicking noise would there?

Having re-assembled it the roof worked fine. If it clicks again I will replace the gear cog. BRING ON THE SUN!!

Comment

Hi everyone
                        ​I have the same clicking challenge on the roof of my 2003 cabrio. The roof does not close anymore.
                        ​I will have a look at this gear - would need some help since I am not able to find detailed instructions on how to access the gear (ideally with some pictures)
                        Anybidy who could help me?
                        thanks a lot in advance !!!!!!!

Comment

Have a look on Evilution or fq101, there's bound to be an how-to on one of them.

BTW Welcome to the site.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X