Turbo waste gate arm connector.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo waste gate arm connector.

The part that connects the rod from the diaphragm actuator part (the thing with numerous small bore flexible hoses attached) to the turbo waste gate arm has rotted through and broken on my car and I need a replacement. Main dealer couldn't find the part - not helped by my lack of correct terminology.
    Does anyone know the name of the part, whether it is available from main dealer, available from anyone at all, or a repair that can be done - preferably without having to remove the entire 'actuator' thing? TIA.

The bit I'm looking for slips over a pin on the waste gate arm and is secured by the circlip (that normally corrodes away) and is threaded internally through its length to accept the rod from the 'actuator' thing - if that description helps identify it.

The wastegate arm adjuster you mean (has a rotary nut part on it)? Ref images 1 and 2: http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php...vicing&mod=581

Comment

Originally posted by Ocracoke View Post
      The wastegate arm adjuster you mean (has a rotary nut part on it)? Ref images 1 and 2: http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php...vicing&mod=581

Cheers, that's exactly the part.
      Do SmartMods sell them do you know? What's lilsmartie's company called - Well Smart?

edit PS
      Smart Stuff is lilsmartie's company. Neither list the part - only the E-clips.

edit PPS
      ''YES PART OF THE WASTEGATE £86.50'' say the the main dealer. 'Don't mind if I don't' I say.
      Last edited by Thrumbleux; 19-05-17, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Smart-parts-direct sell the arm + wastegate actuator for less than £60.
        https://www.smart-parts-direct.com/p...-after-01.html (I think yours is a 2002?)

Comment

Originally posted by Ocracoke View Post
          Smart-parts-direct sell the arm + wastegate actuator for less than £60.
          https://www.smart-parts-direct.com/p...-after-01.html (I think yours is a 2002?)

Cheers Ocracoke - but I'm damned if I'm buying the whole thing when it's just a tuppeny-happeny bit that's broken!
          I'll fire up the welder and make one. Hopefully, doing that will spare me having to remove the actuator and 10 million pipes which will need reconnecting. We shall see!

Comment

I got one off eBay for £30

Comment

• Thrumbleux
              Thrumbleux commented
              Editing a comment
              I could - but given the level of dismemberment required to fit and the possibility of buying a duff one, I avoid secondhand parts.Cheers though.

This is the only turnbuckle rod end I can find on eBay:
            http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Actuator-R...item5aeaa3aa46

Price not too bad but impossible to tell if it will fit. What size of rod threads does yours have and what is diameter of wastegate arm? Rod end depicted on Evilution looks very much like rod end on my Kangoo with 1.9 F9Q engine Garret turbo. Perhaps you can source rod end from a local car dismantler?. I bet most Garret turbos have same rod end.

Comment

Cheers TK. Maybe give that turnbuckle a punt - though its dimensions are completely unknown. Ditto mine until I get it removed.
              I did think about breakers but the nearest to here involves a long hard climb (there and back) and apart from being a liability to others, I don't think my wastegate will take kindly to such abuse. And it's pissing down rain. I'll maybe have a go at making one and I haven't scoured my odds and sods boxes yet for something that may work.

edit PS
              Just phoned the vendor to try and get dimensions. Recorded message says sales office closed for annual holidays until 30th May. They are however still operating the dispatch side. It's for vane actuation rather than wastegate so I'll try and clock some pictures of a VGT on the 'net and if the dimensions look anything similar, could be suitable.
              Last edited by Thrumbleux; 20-05-17, 08:32 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

• Buckster
                Buckster commented
                Editing a comment
                The one I got on eBay was a complete new unit.

Originally posted by Buckster View Post
              I got one off eBay for £30

New???
              Was that from a private seller with it surplus to requirements or a trader with more than one to sell? Link???

Comment

Couple of pics of one as installed. If mine comes off without too much aggro, I think I'll probably order one. At least we'd all then know if they fit. Usually though, it seems it's the clip that fails first.

Comment

Bit more of a clue in the size of the locknut. Not sure mine (2005 petrol) is a big as need a 10mm spanner.

Last edited by Thrumbleux; 20-05-17, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Big spanner? Surely 10 mm across flats so M6 threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrumbleux View Post
                      The part that connects the rod from the diaphragm actuator part (the thing with numerous small bore flexible hoses attached) to the turbo waste gate arm has rotted through and broken on my car and I need a replacement.
                      I cannot see much rot judging by your photos. Where exactly is it broken?

Comment

Waste gate rod end on my Kangoo looks similar to the one on Evilution linked to in one of the previous posts.

Threads on rod appears to be M6. Hole in rod end eye is possibly 8 mm in diameter. Everything is shoe horned in on a Renault. Mechanics working on the 453 just have to get used to poor access.

Comment

Originally posted by tolsen View Post
                          I cannot see much rot judging by your photos. Where exactly is it broken?
                          Those pics are from the internet. Mine is broken right through the hole, leaving nothing but a horseshoe shape. Usual corrosion inflicted by the liberal winter salting of the roads (still, better than a trip through a hedge from black ice).
                          Pissing rain here all day and I have the thing marinading in releasant so when I get back to it, hopefully it comes apart easily - without having to extricate the actuator and disturbing the myriad hoses attached to it. At which point I'll check the thread size. I think you're right about M6. Looks like you found me an easy replacement part - cheers!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X