X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Issue

Hi all

Please please please HELP!!!

I recently brought a Smart ForTwo for my missis. When I was looking at it I mentioned to the guy that the steering felt a little heavy to me? He told me that they are all like it as "because they are a small car they don't have power steering"!!
    As I've never owned one or even driven one I stupidly took his word for it?!?

Now, my missis has only just passed her test and this is the second car I have got her as she stacked the first one into a wall just after getting it!!!

Naturally she was nervous about driving again so I went out a few times with her to help get her conference back...whilst out on a drive the steering went on us and became very clunky and notchy. I drove it home and parked it up over night while I tried to figure out what to do. The next day I thought I would just take it round the block and low and behold the clunky and notchy had gone but steering was still heavy!

Can anybody shed any light on this or maybe point me in the right direction so I can fix this.

Thanks in advance

Rob

I would guess the steering UJ's have not had any lubrication since new and have now suffered from the weather. The most likely one is the one outside the cabin nearest the steering rack. If you are a competent DIY mechanic, then it is within the capabilities of being done at home if you have access to tools including an angle grinder - this would make your life easier but it is not essential. You will have to take the dash out, which means taking the steering wheel off - this can be tricky as the ribbon cable within it is easily damaged.
    Once steering wheel is off, dash is out, you can disconnect the steering shaft from the steering rack and pull the steering shaft into the cabin and out. Before disconnecting anything from the steering shaft, it would be a good idea to use a permanent maker to put lining up marks on things so you get them back together correctly. You can buy a useable replacement universal joint from here:- https://shop.febest.eu/catalogsearch/result/?q=AST-1539. Tolsen did a nice "how to" for the 450 but I don't know if the later ones would use the same Universal joint.

On the other hand, you might be able to rescue the existing universal joint if you can get some oil or grease into the cups where the needle rollers are. I would make a Plasticine cup around the joint and fill that with oil - it will no doubt make a mess, but hope fully if you can soak the joint for long enough it will get some oil in the bearings and loosen up the joints. This is likely only a temporary fix, but might be all you want / need.

John

Comment

http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?/t...teering-wheel/

Comment

http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?/t...versal-joints/

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X