Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre recommendations on a 451

Hi Folks,

It's getting towards tyre replacement time and I've been doing some googling and searched on here, so far I'm unable to find any recent tyre recommendations for a Smart 451.

Looking at sites such as blackcircles.com it seems quite difficult to get a matching tyre make & model for both the fronts and rears due to the size difference (175/55/15 F & 192/50/50 R) - the car currently runs Continental Eco contacts and I find the levels of grip a little disappointing.

Can anyone recommend a make and model of tyre available in both sizes that offers good grip, my order of preference is 1. Grip, 2. Comfort, 3. MPG, 4. Cost

Thanks

I used to love the grip offered by Conti's on my 451 (just sold) , you could always throw it into a corner.

I'm quite impressed by the Dunlop's on my new C453 too ! (similar but not exact same size as the 451)

Don't forget there are plenty of other avenues for tyre suppliers than Black Circles, got my winter's from a trader via Amazon, delivered in two days (for £3?!?!) from Germany - Autotiele something or other , will try and look them out for you.

Comment

Michelin Pilot Sport 3 is available in 195/50 - 15. Can't see any reason you couldn't fit the front either. Very grippy dry and wet weather with loads of feedback and progression. As fitted to my 450 (front and rear) currently getting low 50s mpg and no less comfortable than any other tyre that's been on it. Cost wise, circa £65-70 fitted and balanced.

On a previous car where I tried just about every tyre there was (the fronts were shot anywhere upwards of 5000 miles) there wasn't much to choose between them all (except for the Firestones feeling numb) but the Michelins outlasted all the rest by a margin that easily justified their slightly higher cost.

Comment

There you go http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=new
        £51 a pop delivered , plenty of room for fitting

£48.90 a pop delivered ! from http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rsh...&wt_mc=froogle

Comment

My current favoured tyres are Toyo T1-R. Discontinued so cheap and grip is excellent.

Comment

I changed the Conti's on ours when we bought the car to Yoko Blue Earth all round. Same brand on front and rear in our staggered set up.

They've been on now for a couple of years and are wearing fine. They offer plenty of grip for our driving style and the biggest positive, SWMBO can now turn the steering wheel when parking. It's like having power steering fitted.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations folks, it is much appreciated.

Regarding the grip requirements I just wanted to say I'm far from a boy racer, we live out in the sticks so the roads are usually a slippery mess in the cooler weather.

I'll post back with what we end up getting.

Comment

Have you thought about four season tyres? They are a half way house between summer & winter tyres.

I fitted Hankook Optimo 4S to the front of my wifes 450. The grip level is feels improved over the old conti's that were fitted, especially as the temperature drops.

Comment

I checked out the Yoko Blue Earths, Toyo T1-R and Hankook 4S's

The Toyo's and 4S's were not available in 175/55 for the fronts, so had to rule them out - a real shame as I've had Hankooks on my Golf and was very impressed with them, likewise with Toyo's.
                  I read lots of reviews for the Yoko BE's but wasn't convinced by them, ended up going for Pirelli P1's - based largely on the reviews but also personal experience with Pirellis, having them fitted at the end of next week.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Comment

Have you looked on mytyres.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rsh...&homologation=

Comment

He's already gone for P1's (see previous post)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr T View Post
                        I somehow managed to miss mtyres - could have saved a few quid there, I guess that'll teach me surfing at work

Comment

also for future reference www.camskill.co.uk I used those to order my 17's and they were the cheapest by far, and deliver fast.

£49.99 each for the P1's
                          Last edited by smart.....arse; 02-11-15, 02:58 PM. Reason: adding price

Comment

Thanks Smart....Arse, I'll check them out next time.

I've got a few miles on the Pirelli P1 Cinturato tyres and must say I'm impressed, previously fitted were Conti ECO contact 2's on the front and some Bridgestones on the rear (unsure of the exact model now)
                            With the Conti/Bridgestone combination the car always felt it had much more grip to the rear, this being my first Smart Car I thought that's just 'how they were'.

With the P1's at each corner the car feels like each corner of the car grips equally, I no longer get the feeling the front could wash out in corners, the ride is vastly improved which I think is down to more compliance in the side walls and road noise is greatly reduced.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X