Squeeling alternator belt!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EmilysDad View Post

I did have my tongue in my cheek ;-) and have fitted one way bearings in various applications at work ;-) I can't really see the advantage on an alternator
    shakefist.gifshakefist.gifshakefist.gifshakefist.gif

Tolly is getting a backhander from the manufacturer clearly?..........ok-wink.gif
    Last edited by 10:45PM; 05-09-16, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Denso tend to have M17x1.5 threads on alternator shaft whilst most Bosch and other makes have M16x1.5. Regrettably this makes it harder to find a suitable freewheel pulley that will fit a Roadster or any Smart with a Denso alternator.

As for the benefits of fitting one you just have to take my word for it. There is a reason why most new cars these days have them.

They are not everlasting and will eventually require replacement. Same applies to solid pulleys. I have regrooved mine twice and retired pulley after the second set of grooves wore out since a third regrooving would make the diameter too small.

Comment

Here's a video worth watching in relation to how bad a failure of a freewheeling pulley can be.

Comment

The Polish guy clearly stated they last 60 to 80 thousand miles. That is similar lifespan to my solid pulley before regrooving.
          I did see the images of the badly worn pulleys and the damage done to alternator shaft. In my opinion those drivers do deserve the high expense of repair. Only fools keep on driving when engine is calling you to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by tolsen View Post
            The Polish guy clearly.
            Irish

Comment

I have just removed pulley on a Roadster alternator and measured its essential dimensions. Obviously no point posting them here.

Comment

INA 535009810 will fit provided you add a 4 mm thick washer inboard of pulley. Only £25.32 on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS...AAAOSwwbdWO7OM

Comment

Getting back to the tension of the belt.
                  I am using the car to and from work (70km one way) so in a week I do 700km and it is a bit of a bother to check the belt in the evening after work so I have opted to check the belt tension the weekend after the belt change witch I am beginning to think is to long a run before re tension.
                  This weekend I have changed the belt taken the car on a 20-30km run and re tensioned the belt.
                  Now I hope it will be fine.

I will check it next weekend.

Jörgen

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X