Clunk from rear on pull-away

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clunk from rear on pull-away

Hi I have just bought a smart roadster 2005 59,900 on the clock. I notice now when pulling away quite a clunk coming from the rear of the car (i think) and I can feel it through the floor. Usually only in 1st on pull away. Any ideas?

Front engine mount is very often the fault ..... not the most accessable item on the car, but do-able at home

http://www.theroadster.net/trc/modul...cle.php?id=183 ... described as frontre centre mount, it's easier to do than the pictures imply
    Last edited by EmilysDad; 16-01-17, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Thanks for quick reply EmilysDad! I will have a look when a get home tonight..

Comment

Originally posted by marcusa View Post
        . Usually only in 1st on pull away.
        Handbrake sticking?

Comment

No handbrake is fine, it happens also when I put torque through the engine when slowly rolling..

Comment

Centre engine mount as mentioned firm favourite

Comment

I guess you guys would recommend getting this sorted ASAP if it is the mounts..

Comment

• Thrumbleux
                Thrumbleux commented
                Editing a comment
                It'll only get worse.

As said above, it's not too difficultto do at home, you just need to have the car up on ramps/stands. Can't remember how much the new one was, but it wasn't stupid money from Mercedes

Comment

Originally posted by EmilysDad View Post
                . Can't remember how much the new one was, but it wasn't stupid money from Mercedes
                Less than £30 for a 450 one tail end of last year from MB/smart.

Comment

Got under the car last night, LH/RH mounts look OK, Front mount looks like there are cracks on both sides of rubber component.....ordered replacement part at £36.99 from Merc.

Comment

Although it doesn't look broken enough to be causing that much noise!

Comment

It probably will when removed ;-)

Comment

You try stopping that engine rotating without that mount in place

Comment

• Thrumbleux
                          Thrumbleux commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I think I once calculated the torque to be around 900lb.ft in first gear.

Perhaps loose or deformed heat shield behind exhaust.

Comment

Result! replaced front mount at weekend (actually fairly straight forward) upon removing the old front mount I realised why it had been the problem, there was about 10mm of rubber left connected to the outer ring! Replaced with new part (took me around 1 hr) and roadster now purrs like a kitten. Thanks for diagnosis and responses!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X