High level led brake light unit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High level led brake light unit

A couple of bulbs have stopped working in my high level "third brake" light, Understand you cannot simply replace the offending bulbs, but have to replace the strip? Is this the complete unit that's replaced of just the inner strip. They seem hard to find and seem to be up to £50.00 !! Thank you.............

Have you actually tried to replace the bulbs? In other words have you taken the red cover off? Have you tried going to a Merc Parts department to ask if you can replace the bulb singly - I have not had to delve into that part of my car yet so don't know, but I would assume if it has individual bulbs that you could replace them individually even if that means un-soldering connections.

John

Comment

• fortwo long
      fortwo long commented
      Editing a comment
      Have seen on couple of web sites that the cover taken off, then the whole inner strip housing bulbs comes away on some pins. Tried to locate single bulbs on web but nothing as yet?

According to the user manual you can replace individual bulbs.
    Bjorn

Comment

You can replace the individual bulbs, but unless you know how to get them out they are a beech to do! They are also arent a common bulb but you can find them if you look carefully or maybe even smart might sell them. They are tiny and you have to remove them by removing one of the metal contact strips at the back because if you try to use pliers or something else on the bulb side they wont budge and you will end up crushing the glass. Ive replaced all of mine with LEDs only the other week. They will take a T5 bulb/LED dont quote me on the bulb though as I only replaced mine with T5 LEDs

Comment

• fortwo long
        fortwo long commented
        Editing a comment
        Right that's interesting to know. Explains then why cannot trace any mention of individual bulbs etc......Will have a look and check out what you've advised Thank you

http://www.evilution.co.uk/354

Comment

• fortwo long
        fortwo long commented
        Editing a comment
        Brilliant,, cheers for that Evilution. Sounds like a plan lol !!

When I changed mine over to LED, I got a small flathead screwdriver and a small hammer. The gap in the back of the reflector is enough to get the screwdriver into and then a relatively gentle tap (or several) is enough to push the bulb out. If the bulb shatters, no matter because its from the back so it will fall out. Just make sure you get all the broken bits of bulb out before putting the new bulbs in.

Beware that the reflector is mighty sharp. If you put in LEDs, I found they were hard to get in the first time around (I think they were slightly thicker than standard bulbs) and ended up stabbing my fingers on the pointy ends.

Comment

• fortwo long
        fortwo long commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for that. Well, I've ordered the 284 bulbs as advised by Evilution, local car part shop don't have any... when arrive will have a go!

• Ocracoke
        Ocracoke commented
        Editing a comment
        If you are coming to the meet on Saturday, I can help if you want.

• fortwo long
        fortwo long commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, will be there!! Bulbs just this minute dropped thro' door lol. We're of out in 45 mins to go to dentist and couple of errands, so yes ok will bring them with me. Thanks.
        Victor

I grip these bulbs with a short piece of rubber hose. Works great and no broken glass.

Comment

• Mr T
        Mr T commented
        Editing a comment
        I use this method at work on panel lamps, works very well.
        The secret is to place your finger on the other end of the tubing to create a vacuum on the glass of the lamp as you pull & take your finger off to let go of the lamp.

• cougar7609
        cougar7609 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thats an interesting way of doing it! Good idea

I read (elsewhere) Tolsens method too late sadly, upgraded my Hi level brake light bulbs with LED's the effect is not quite as good (looks like one bulb is blown but it is merely throw inadequacies of what is available.

Had to really jiggle them to fit.

Anyone got a good method for drilling out the knackered screw that holds the red brake light plastic cover?, I still need to slap on the replacement it's held by gaffer tape right now :/

a screw remover for something this small,..does it exist?
      Last edited by 2fortwofamily; 10-03-21, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Resolution: In the end I bit t bullet & bought the smallest damaged screw extractor kit possible (see below) less faff than the dremel.
        https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...651b4c4dZ6mYJ0
        Less than £3 delivered in under 10 days

Still got a problem with not all the LED's sitting & contacting properly though, glad i'm not a perfectionist its hard to spot unless you are a total pedant.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X