Optimax Debate - Ultimate answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if they know we're monitoring, it might exert downward pressure on prices

They know we monitor the prices anyway - it's called competition from the err competitors.
    If everyone (or the vast bulk) are selling it it at x price and they stand alone selling it at x+whatever price... they will soon realise they are missing out on business and drop prices to suit.
    They are constantly monitoring overall prices to ensure they get (or retain) their share of the market.

Aubin , don't forget: by a absolutely staggeringly massive margin (or percentage of the total retail price) the biggest profiteer in the petrol business is the treasury

Comment

Originally posted by Itsme
      Aubin , don't forget: by a absolutely staggeringly massive margin (or percentage of the total retail price) the biggest profiteer in the petrol business is the treasury
      If you'd had our experience of the American medical system (yes, we've got insurance) you might think massive tax on fuel in Europe is worth it.

The USA is great, but don't have a medical emergency here.

Comment

you would seem to be under the incorrect impression that the tax goes towards hospitals and care.

It doesn't, It goes towards two jags and extremely expensive wallpaper and large outdoor dome shapped structures etc etc etc

Comment

The USA is great…
          Some parts are fantastic and some are diabolical!

Comment

Originally posted by Itsme
            you would seem to be under the incorrect impression that the tax goes towards hospitals and care.

It doesn't, It goes towards two jags and extremely expensive wallpaper and large outdoor dome shapped structures etc etc etc
            You may well be right in everything you've just posted.
            But the taxes here (which are quite substantial) seem to go to even less worthy causes than those you quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Leomobile
              i only put super/optimax or ultimate in my cars depends on which is closest when im low its not so bad with the smart normaly around £25 but i almost shed a tear when i have to part with £60 for the 944
              I hear you on that one! That's why I'm getting a smart!!

Comment

Full tank of BP Ultimate, got 220 miles out of it with 5ltr on he reserve tank on my BRC. Works out to around 35.1mpg.
                Although I will admit, if I'm not stuck in traffic I'm really enjoying the car

Comment

optimax seems to have stablised at around 87.9 round here (derby and sheffield) now.

Comment

Damn, was too late to vote in the poll.

Complete waste of money in my opinion!

I even drive one of these (see pic in post 3)
                    http://www.funkysmart.co.uk/forums/s...ad.php?t=20188
                    (like my sneaky 'plug' there?)

... and my other forum will crucify me for saying this, but in my experience it makes no difference at all.

Comment

Evil Shell?

From the Ethical Consumer website's list of boycotts:

"Shell - until the peoples of the Ogoni region in Nigeria receive a fair share of profits from oil extraction, and better environmental standards."

IMO its hard to hand on heart think that any oil company is ethical, but both Shell and Esso have had some very off putting allegations made against them. Consequently I have not used Shell in years (even running out of fuel in my old 2CV once rather than stop).

However I have read the premium feul thread with interest. Only filled our Brabus Roadster Coupe once since it arrived last week - and it was std fuel (wonder what Smart filled it with?).

Next tank will try the BP stuff.

Comment

Having already voted in this... but never mind...
                        I use he BP ultrasquirt fuel, filled up the car 3 days ago... 96.9p!!, now I'd already started filling before I checked the price, so I sat with it.
                        BUT, went into the garage last night... wait for it... 98.9 ppl. - could not believe my eyes!!!

On that basis I'd change my vote to 'No', but I can't.

In retrospect, I suppose "supercalafragalisticexpialadocious" wasn't a great "safe word..."

Comment

£29 for a tank of optimax gets me 200- 250 fun miles

Comment

I use 99RON from Tescos. None of that namby pamby 97/98RON Ultimate/Optimax rubbish for my baby.

Oh, did I mention it's cheaper too? Put that in your (exhaust) pipe and smoke it.

Comment

Originally posted by gavmoir
                              I use 99RON from Tescos. None of that namby pamby 97/98RON Ultimate/Optimax rubbish for my baby.
                              Oh, did I mention it's cheaper too? Put that in your (exhaust) pipe and smoke it.
                              Good for you! I can't bear the Funky petrol snobs ....

Comment

i have used tescos 99 ron as well and my roadster loved it! it was amazing. sadly i live too far from the pump so i tend to get sainsbrys 97. ron

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X