Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossblade Door Bar Stuck

HELP!

On my second outing of the year, after being fine last week, I noticed that the door bar on the drivers side is stuck fast :censor::censor:

I have heard that the only way to remove this is to cut the bar off and replace it with a new one

Has anyone managed to remove a stuck bar without resorting to using an angle grinder?

ANy help would be appreciated. it's not cool to have to climb over to the passenger side to have to get out!!!

Thanks,
    John

Re: Crossblade Door Bar Stuck

you could practice limbo dancing under the bar!

That's my suggestions used up, sorry!
    sigpic
    DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

Comment

[QUOTE=Messerschmitt Owner;714073]you could practice limbo dancing under the bar!
      QUOTE]

Hmm, I'm not sure I'm bendy enough!

Apparently the internal bar is £482+VAT and the lock mechanism is £411 + VAT - ouch!

Comment

Is there no way of trying to spray WD40 into the mechanism? Leaving it overnight might loosen it up enough or is it stuck for another reason?

Comment

Seems to be a known problem :-(

http://www.smartmaniacs.co.uk/forums...rossblade+door

Comment

Originally posted by DaisyDuke View Post
            Is there no way of trying to spray WD40 into the mechanism? Leaving it overnight might loosen it up enough or is it stuck for another reason?
            Thanks. I'll give that a try tonight. It appears that the cable is still connected, so it could be worse. I have spoken to a chap that's managed to manually release the latch on another Blade by drilling the bar on the underside, so that will probably be the best way forward if I can't free it myself.

Not a good way to start a sunny day of Blading..

Comment

I would suggest there must be a way of fiddling with it to make it fit - plusgas is infinitely better than WD40 btw!
              sigpic
              DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

Comment

yeap is a right pain when this happens , there is a recall with smart for this but not sure if it will cover the problem when the door is stuck down ? probably not knowing smart

Comment

Interesting Putzie... Do you know what the recall was for exactly?

Comment

locks jamming mate!

Comment

I kind of guessed that Putzie, I wondered which actual part they replace within the recall. I'll give them a call - thanks for the heads up.

Looking into the boot area, it's possible to just about see the part to which the switch within the latch mechanism is fixed. That made me wonder if it's possible to remove that switch and push the sprung latch from inside the boot. Has anyone ever tried that?

Looking at the parts diagram that I got from Mercedes, it seems that some Blades have a 'bung' on the underside of the door bar. I guess that makes it easier to manually release the latch if or WHEN you need to. Sadly, mine doesn't have the bung.

Comment

As per my post on thesmartclub.

I understand there was a service measure to install an access hole, the EPC shows part numbers for covers for emergency lock access. You need to find someone who's had that done, and see if they can do you a template for drilling.

Hopefully this pic might give you a bit more insight into how it works.

Once you get it open and reassemble it, make sure you have the handle working the right way before you shut it down - ie ensure 100% it's working before putting the bar back down. It is possible to install the handle end of the gubbins so that it pushes on the cable and not pulls on it. I didn't this weekend, and had the same thoughts you are having now. Thankfully some wire and pliers sorted my problem.

Comment

Replied on the other site. Thanks again Tony - that is very good of you to have bothered to explain. I bet your heart missed a beat when you thought yours was stuck too!

My plan is to try to access it from the boot if it's possible. I'll let you know what I find out on Sunday when I have the time to have a play with it.

Thanks,
                          John

Comment

Yes, my heart missed several beats, I wasn't in a good place for a little while. I had to strip the drivers side down again to work out what i'd done wrong.

Best of luck John.

Comment

Dude, I hope you manage to get it sorted! Let us know how you get on

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X