smart forfour. A car with problems?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: smart forfour. A car with problems?

right on sport just my point! paying big bucks to a so called collaboration of two quality car producers and yet another bloke having his gearbox fixed. You won't know yet how much that could have set you back, but we people with two year warranties will start to find out very soon.

Comment

G'Day
      Well I got my pocket rocket back from DC and they have replaced the clutch and the actuator and the sensors. Guess what!Drove 2kms down the bloody road and on comes the check engine light, mmmm most frustrating! it dose not seem to effect the way the little beasty drives & it hasn't cost me any thing other than time. The head service tech said they will not give up until they find a fix. Has any one over in old blighty found a solution to the troublesome engine light?

Comment

Sorry mate when you say it doesn't effect the way it drives do you mean the new parts fitted or the engine light. I'm having a new clutch actuator soon and would like to know if yours is any better. With regard to the engine light maybe it just needs the fault codes cleared after the new parts fitted.
        Not good though is it cars too complicated now

Comment

G'day Basilbrush
          The new parts have smoothed out the changes but the gearbox and the engine still are not on good speaking terms. due to sensor trouble Dc Sydney tell me that DC Melbourne are working on sollution. will keep you up dated as I find out.

Comment

Originally posted by basilbrush
            Maybe I'm a bit paranoid, but have DC got something to hide. A four year warranty for the last few sold!!! Why not extend all our warranties after all it's supposed to be a quality car and they've dropped everybody in it. So there's going to be even more cars that will be having work done that nobody will be able to cost. There are areas of the Forfour that give problems. Shock absorbers, gearboxes and clutch actuators and wheel bearings to name but a few. I was parked next to a 1.3 passion like mine, but an 06 model and mine is a 54. When I looked he'd got drum brakes on the rear whereas mine has discs. What's that all about? Why have disc calipers been replaced by drums?
            Makes sense to offer a 4 year warranty to act as an incentive to clear stock and to reduce peoples fears about getting an unpopular, deleted, car fixed in future.

Some 44s had drums at rear - the basic ones. You need to know a little more about your car before making such comments - Tsk. I thought we were fans?

Comment

In reply to BasilBrush: Makes sense to offer a 4 year warranty to act as an incentive to clear stock and to reduce peoples fears about getting an unpopular, deleted, car fixed in future.

Some 44s had drums at rear - the basic ones. You need to know a little more about your car before making such comments - Tsk. I thought we were fans?

Comment

Is there an echo in here, lol

Comment

oops - pc was playing up!

Comment

I have to agree with you gosforth, they are giving away four yr warranties as an incentive to clear stock.

i don't think Merc would do it if there was something inherently wrong with the car they would just stick with the 2 yr and get rid of the problem totally.

Comment

Originally posted by gosforth
                      In reply to BasilBrush: Makes sense to offer a 4 year warranty to act as an incentive to clear stock and to reduce peoples fears about getting an unpopular, deleted, car fixed in future.

Maybe you should take the trouble to read my post properly before you make comments about it. I'm well aware that the basic 44s have drums I had one yesterday as a loan car. I was on about a "passion" version 06 model being fitted with rear drums. I am a fan of the 44 and mine
                      is getting better and better with the clutch sorted out and new rear shocks fitted at 7500 miles. I had a lovely day out today in it and driving a manual 44 the other day has made me realise just how good the softouch actually is.
                      These forums should be about sharing information and opinions good and bad. DC have let us down and offering a four year warranty actually stops information getting out about the level of faults and the cost of repairs. My car is out of warranty in less than three weeks and I need to know at some stage just how long is safe to keep this car.
                      I've found forums like this a great source of information on these cars. Some people seem starry eyed about the product and will put up with anything and others are more critical. Incidentally somewhere on these forums I read someone is claiming that the four year warranty is not true.

Comment

I have solved every one of my silly niggly problems on my 1.3 Passion auto.
                        I HAVE SOLD IT!
                        A brilliant car spoilt by penny pinching build and rubbish dealership.
                        Main gripe was drivers seat height control. Been to dealer 12 times, (2 Brand new seat bases and 1 modified handle fitted, all to no avail.
                        Also worried about cluncky gearbox which they also tried and failed. Warranty almost out so it had to go.
                        Have to say I prefer my new Suzuki SX4

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X