forfour gearbox problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: forfour gearbox problems

Does it do it every time or only a couple of times ?

Reason I ask is coz I've had my Brabus since may & not had it have that problem but last night coming home from footy I accelerated hard from the traffic lights & the car made an almighty bang from the front but it seemed to coincide with the car losing traction coz I had the ESP light flashing like mad & the car had no grip so I just put it down to that.

I had a looksie under the car etc.. this morning & it all looks fine as far as I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by kaizer
      Does it do it every time or only a couple of times ?

Reason I ask is coz I've had my Brabus since may & not had it have that problem but last night coming home from footy I accelerated hard from the traffic lights & the car made an almighty bang from the front but it seemed to coincide with the car losing traction coz I had the ESP light flashing like mad & the car had no grip so I just put it down to that.

I had a looksie under the car etc.. this morning & it all looks fine as far as I can see.
      It does it everytime, 1st gear hard starts and in 2nd with a lot of revs, wheelspinny, esp triangle on/flashing.

its not like a bit of a bang either its like really noisy "bang bang bang bang" until you go to 3rd.

Only had the car just over 2 weeks and this dosent seem right, ordinary driving its fine, reverse has "crunched" once but that seems to be a problem with all of them.

Comment

Sounds like what I had yesterday.

All I can advise is lay off the hard starts , yesterday was the first time i've belted it off the line & also happened to be the first time I heard the bang so to me they seem related.

Comment

Surely thats what a 44 brabus is meant for tho? I'd really like to know if its a gearbox problem or just traction issues so it can get sorted sooner rather than later.

If all you want is to drive down to the shops in no real hurry you buy a ford focus diesel or somthing.

Comment

Well yes & no.

The Brabus has been designed for speed & power but it's biggest failing is getting that amount of power down cleanly due to only being front wheel drive.

If it'd had a 4 wheel drive system I reckon things would be different.

I think most Brabus forfour owners would tell you the same thing that from standstill if you try to belt down the power you'll 99% send the car into a wheel spinning / traction hunting frenzy.

When you're off & running it's a Beast.

The only way to overcome it is to find ways of getting better grip etc..

Comment

I think you'll find its a traction issue, on a rwd its called axle tramp i believe.

Comment

Originally posted by J500ANT
                I think you'll find its a traction issue, on a rwd its called axle tramp i believe.
                Ok so the banging is cos there is too much power for the front tires to handle and not the transmision failing?

TBH at first I did think it was only due to the esp kicking in and trying to sort it out like how the abs bangs when you brake hard, if it were the gearbox I'd expect it to be making funny noises at any speed in 1st/2nd and also to not be a silky smooth change.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X