Limited Slip Differential for Brabus forfour

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Limited Slip Differential for Brabus forfour

I would have thought that in some ways it might increase it... but only when lots of power is going through the wheels... a normal diff is designed to counteract wheelspin and give better contact with the road. And LSD is designed to power both wheels more equally if i understand correctly?

Comment

Torsen LSDs are well known in helping FWD cars cope with lots of torque, both SAAB and Volvo use them.

A "normal" open diff doesn't do anything to counteract one wheel spinning. It simply spins which ever one is easiest. So if you lift one wheel off the ground (or put it on ice) that wheel just spins the other doesn't get any. Torque goes to the wheel that "needs it".

Most of the time this is a good thing, as prior to open diffs the two wheels were locked together, not a good thing when going round a corner as the wheels need to move at different speeds. Torque is balanced between the two wheels.

A limited slip diff monitors the torque being applied to each wheel, and if the diffference between torque on one and the other exceeds a particular ratio, it applies torque to the other (in this case non spinning) wheel.

So in "normal" unloaded mode the LSD doesn't do anything, it just acts as a open diff so you can go round corners propery. But if one wheel spins too much (it is getting all the torque) it applies torque to the other wheel.

It never actually locks the diff like a 4x4, or to the extent that the variable locking diffs that BMW (and Smart etc) have produced.

So it helps Torque steer (where one wheel is getting more torque than the other because of flexing or imbalance i the drive train) by balancing out the torque on the two driveshafts.

But you need a torque sensing (Torsen) LSD, not a speed sensing one for this.

Comment

Noger : cheers for the info , i'm still looking to get one custom made but it's gonna cost a fortune no doubt.

Comment

Hi!

My first post on this board and I take the liberty to lift this old thread.

Is there any news about any form of LSD for the Brabus?

Ciao,
          Patrick

Comment

Yeah I made a few enquiries & a couple of companies could make a custom one but the cost involved in making just 1 or 2 would not be worth.

Would need to get at least 8 orders to make it worthwhile.

Comment

Do you know if the Brabus shares gearbox and/or differential with any other car?

Thanks,
              Patrick

Comment

Hi All,
                torque steer is a problem on high power fwd cars, it should not affect rwd to the same extent, a good lsd should help to cure this.
                an atb (auto torque bias) lsd unit from quaife to fit into the sierra diff housing (7 1/2") in my kit car is about £1200 so even a run of 10 is going to be shed loads of cash.
                Phil S

Comment

I do feel this could be a very good mod for brabus forfour owners. The torque steer is present, esp on damp roads.

So far I have put more tyre at the front 225's instead of 205's which does help the cars grip but no-way cures it.

the factory tyres are pooh mind you

Comment

If the driveshafts are unequal lengths (which I'd imagine they are as you're suffering torque steer in the first place) then no amount of tomfoolery will eliminate torque steer unfortunately (other than reducing the amouny
                    t of torque)

An LSD will help with reducing wheelspin from the line and out of corners but I'd be surprised if it had any effect on torque steer at all...

Chassis & suspension mods would be a better place to start I'd have thought, not sure what's available but perhaps upper/lower strut bracing to reduce chassis flex might make a positive improvement (if they're not already fitted as standard). Is there anything for the Colt CZT that might fit, as the 44 is so low volume I'd be surprised if there's much out there?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X