ESP problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ESP problems

The Porsche issue was very random - and only occurred during hard acceleration.
    Under conditions of hard acceleration it would misfire and illuminate the ABS warning lamp. Transpired that the problem was due to the torque reaction of the engine bringing the HT side of the ignition system in close enough proximity to the ABS unit when combined with the greater electrical load (due to high cylinder pressure at WOT) caused HT tracking to the ABS unit which then caused its lamp to illuminate and the engine misfire. That was how it was on the Porsche.

The only thing I can add to your problem that hasn't hitherto been discussed is that the smart ESP system when it detects wheelspin will use the traction control part of its possible interventions, ie, apply individual rear brakes to arrest the spinning wheel. Cutting power is normally reserved for when it detects beyond threshold understeer (or when the car is well out of shape but all four brakes will be called into play in such a situation and wouldn't go unnoticed by you). On yours, does it think the car is constantly understeering? It happening on the M4 implies otherwise, but on my 05 model, cutting the power is almost always when the nose is running away from me.

Comment

If the engine cuts power (Undemanded by intention) and brakes the rear wheels by engine there could be a mismatch between front and rear wheel speeds flagging the ESP

Comment

Keith, I hope you get the problem sorted in the end. How nice that someone actually posts such detailed issues with follow-ups like you have and the good old Smartmaniacs members are so helpful.
        Actually wanted to thank you for this as a faithful original Mini owner & lover
        "just like the old original mini did, before BMW ruined it"
        Jaine

Comment

Forget about CPS sensor as not related to ESP errors. I think you have a similar problem to that recently described by hydesgarage.
          I would start by checking ABS rings and signal from wheel speed sensors using oscilloscope or live data diagnostics.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X