EGR Delete

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EGR Delete

EGRs seem to be a false economy like many I these EU driven "environmental" issues.

It's all about cradle to grave impact.

How much additional "resource" does it take to design, manufacture, maintain and dispose of an EGR system?

Like DPFs, they reduce the particulate output of the exhaust but then quite regularly the car dumps masses of fuel into the system to help decoke it all. Then they always need repairing and replacing if you aren't dump enough fuel in costing time, labour, parts etc.

Get rid of the EGR and learn to drive more economically or cycle or walk if green issues are so important

JJ

www.forfour.co.uk (tech 454) - www.quidco.com/user/417377/1833011/ (free £)

Comment

Originally posted by problemchild1976 View Post
      EGRs seem to be a false economy like many I these EU driven "environmental" issues.

It's all about cradle to grave impact.
      It should be - but never is. Hence all the grossly overweight vehicles using 4-stroke Diesels as personal transport.

How much additional "resource" does it take to design, manufacture, maintain and dispose of an EGR system?
      Absolutely minimal.

Like DPFs, they reduce the particulate output of the exhaust but then quite regularly the car dumps masses of fuel into the system to help decoke it all. Then they always need repairing and replacing if you aren't dump enough fuel in costing time, labour, parts etc.
      That's about air quality in cities. EGR as applied to Diesels is about reducing oxides of nitrogen which when they encounter rain form nitric acids which kill forests - the planet's lungs.

Get rid of the EGR and learn to drive more economically or cycle or walk if green issues are so important
      The whole point of emission regs is to allow us to continue with both the technology we are used to and the environment on which we depend for our air, water, and food. Only an idiot would turn it into an A or B choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrumbleux View Post
        Absolutely minimal.
        Really?? so there are no additional parts involved? Even a single additional part has a number of ramifications down the supply chain... (design, production, storage, supply, etc) as well as implications during vehicle production... (integration, training, time, storage, etc...) plus during in-service especially if a part that can have issues (the whole spares supply chain and disposal of faulty parts)

i don't think its minimal. or do you mean minimal in terms of the total environmental impact of producing a vehicle?

That's about air quality in cities. EGR as applied to Diesels is about reducing oxides of nitrogen which when they encounter rain form nitric acids which kill forests - the planet's lungs.
        I know what a DPF is for - just an example of something that tries to overcome 1 environmental issue and impacts on another. I thought EGRs also reduce MPG slightly??

Aren't the planets lungs phytoplankton??

The whole point of emission regs is to allow us to continue with both the technology we are used to and the environment on which we depend for our air, water, and food. Only an idiot would turn it into an A or B choice.
        what do you mean?? i think you are saying its ok to subtly tweak emissions to meet legislation brought in so that we can continue to use our cars as transport while pretending to be concerned about the environment. sounds similar to the "i bought a prius therefore i am saving the planet" argument. no - if you wanted to save the planet then buying a car isn't a great idea.... and if you need a car for certain times then there are many other options. creating new anything is bad for the environment.

JJ

www.forfour.co.uk (tech 454) - www.quidco.com/user/417377/1833011/ (free £)

Comment

The EGR on my Audi TDi seems to belch more when I haven't driven it for a while (mainly use my Roady day to day unless carrying a load or the Hound)- not exactly sure why?

Drive it day to day and a moderate amount of muck from the exhaust more on hard acceleration obviously.

When it has been sat for a while anything upto a month or more sometimes, on the first days use it chucks out skip loads of the black stuff almost as if it has got bored and fell off!

Any one else with diesels noticed similar behaviour when not used for a while?

Comment

Originally posted by madDan View Post
            The EGR on my Audi TDi seems to belch more when I haven't driven it for a while (mainly use my Roady day to day unless carrying a load or the Hound)- not exactly sure why?

Drive it day to day and a moderate amount of muck from the exhaust more on hard acceleration obviously.

When it has been sat for a while anything upto a month or more sometimes, on the first days use it chucks out skip loads of the black stuff almost as if it has got bored and fell off!

Any one else with diesels noticed similar behaviour when not used for a while?
            My trucks the same, I only use it doing deliveries or when its too sketchy to drive the smarts (tornado weather basically) so it doesn't get driven every day. I find if you let it sit and then initially drive it under load there's allot more muck/soot. The same thing as its really cold.

It may be just soot build up in the pipes and when you hit on the gas it clears who knows.
            Last edited by dmoonen; 07-10-13, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Really?? so there are no additional parts involved? Even a single additional part has a number of ramifications down the supply chain... (design, production, storage, supply, etc) as well as implications during vehicle production... (integration, training, time, storage, etc...) plus during in-service especially if a part that can have issues (the whole spares supply chain and disposal of faulty parts)

i don't think its minimal. or do you mean minimal in terms of the total environmental impact of producing a vehicle?
              A bit of pipe and some valving. There's as much effort if not more devoted to installing cup holders.

I know what a DPF is for - just an example of something that tries to overcome 1 environmental issue and impacts on another. I thought EGRs also reduce MPG slightly??
              Local environment in the case of DPFs.

Aren't the planets lungs phytoplankton??
              The planet needs its forests. We need the planet.

what do you mean?? i think you are saying its ok to subtly tweak emissions to meet legislation brought in so that we can continue to use our cars as transport while pretending to be concerned about the environment. sounds similar to the "i bought a prius therefore i am saving the planet" argument. no - if you wanted to save the planet then buying a car isn't a great idea.... and if you need a car for certain times then there are many other options.
              Nope. Put simply, without the emissions kit the vehicles would not be available to us. Part of the bargain is that we continue running them in the same less polluting state they left the factory. 'Tweaking' as you put it, saves the forests from being ravaged by acid rain.

creating new anything is bad for the environment.
              JJ
              Yes, but until we find better ways of living we are kind of stuck there. We need to make the best of a current bad job until we commit to better technologies and better ways of earning our income. That of course firstly requires that we recognise we can actually do something to improve our lot.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X