No announcement yet.

Just got a Smart car :-)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda jack from a car dismantler. A cheap torque wrench is also handy as wheel brace. It is sufficiently long to undo stubborn wheel bolts and available cheaply from Toolstation or Ebay as is the long 15 mm socket. DSC02375.jpg~original.jpg

Attached Files

Comment

• mottofreee
      mottofreee commented
      Editing a comment
      Alternative:
      A)
      - Mercedes A Class (W168)
      - Makita DTW190
      - 15 mm @ 1/2 "
      - short socket 17mm (for jack) @ 1/2 "
      This is my choice.
      B)
      - spray (Tire Fix, Tire Doctor, Flat Mate, etc.)
      but changed to 2 years the spray, dirty the wheel hard on the inside
      C)
      -puncture kit
      -compressor 12V
      but it definitely compromises the tire if it's used.

Originally posted by Minigirl View Post
    Thanks,

had a look and the pipe cable tied under the car runs up and over the blue turbo hose and then i loose it, theres not much room in the bay lol...

Any ideas where this should go?

'Blue' is aftermarket. Is there a dump valve (and the pipe is its drain)? Can't its other end be found from above via the engine hatch?

Comment

Instead of using electric air compressor try to source the ingenious Schrader spark plug air pump.

Of course not so easy to connect as on this old Hillman or Commer.

Comment

• tolsen
        tolsen commented
        Editing a comment
        Risk of explosion since the air will be mixed with petrol.

• heinkeljb
        heinkeljb commented
        Editing a comment
        Rubbish! It has a check valve that does the pumping of air down the tube. Only risk of fire is the air being expelled from the cylinder, but even that is not at the same mixture ratio due to being able to suck more air in via the pump /spark plug hole, so cylinder does not suck vast amounts of petrol /air mixture from the inlet valve.

• tolsen
        tolsen commented
        Editing a comment
        The one my father had had no advanced feature like yours. Purely a hose connected to spark plug hole. Kindly provide photo of pump end of yours. Looking at the picture above, there does not appear to be much space for a piston and cylinder.

Thanks all, I will have another look but couldn't hear any dump valve noises

Another question, theres like a vinyl / sticker on the front of the panoramic roof, can this be removed as it is all crumbling looking and messy, or if I remove it is it covering something under the glass?

Thanks

Comment

Have a look here >> https://www.fq101.co.uk/how-to-guide...ik-replacement
        Maybe help you identify your wayward pipe.

Comment

The vinyl at the front edge of the windscreen was added by Smart to try to stop the glass roof shattering by flying stones.
          My original roof didn't have it & shattered one evening on the why home from work. The replacement has the strip.
          My wife's 52 reg doesn't have the strip & fingers crossed...that's jinxed it...lol.

Comment

I wonder if the pipe was left dangling as there wasnt anywhere to connect it to the blue silicone hose thats been fitted?

Too wet outside right now to look lol

Thanks

Hhmmm, have a messy looking roof or risk stones smashing it... can you get a new vinyl for the roof glass?

Comment

At us (in Ro) there is a foil for this purpose at the stores with advertising materials; they can also apply (professional, guarantee).
              Also ,roof glass (windshield) foil is found at auto tuning stores.
              Last edited by mottofreee; 01-08-18, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Minigirl View Post
                Just got a Smart car and have a few questions and probably some more as time goes by...

1. Are the exhaust gases supposed to be very hot? Eg cant hold your hand against the exhaust gases due to heat after a run.

2. What oil? It came with a bottle of 0w40

3. Is there a toolkit with the smart car

4. Theres a rubber pipe cable tied under the engine area under the back of the car with say a inner diameter of 6mm that seems to be dripping slowly with thickish looking oil. Guessing a oil breather pipe?

Thanks
                Firstly - which smart? Fortwo? ForFour? Crossblade? Roadster? What year? What engine?
                2. Probably 0W40 ok but depends on the anser to the question above.

Comment

Hi, its a smart fortwo 450 (which is why I posted it in the Smart fortwo 450 section :-)

Thanks

Comment

• mottofreee
                    mottofreee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The Smat 450 has been manufactured in several engine variants, equipment and software (many variants of software - hundreds) .
                    It is essential to specify the exact model, for example Smart 450 petrol 0.6 is with ZEE and Smart 450 is with SAM. Or, at CDI the engine management and gearbox is called EDG (E3 / 9) and MEG (E3 / 10) for petrol Smart.

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X