No announcement yet.

engine noise @3000 rpm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the noise comes from the distribution chain, it is possible that the lubrication line of the distribution chain is affected.
    http://www.smarttecnic.co.uk/servici...s/engine-work/
    However, where exactly comes the noise? Only on-site can be determined.

Comment

In the second video the noise sounds lighter - less like bottom end. And the whining?

Comment

Sounds like an old threshing machine. Vibrates at idle which points to valve gear so I bet it is a bad tappet.

Comment

In the second video as it is only @1500 the noise from the first one has not started.I had not noticed the whine -maybe I have got the alternator belt too tight.
          How would a bad tappet affect the running .I am guessing it would make the valve open late and close early?(mpg @57-63)
          Could that set off the louder/heavier noise 2500-3000 ?(it is quieter with the engine cover on
          How would I check the tappets ?
          The noise has not suddenly appeared but has been there for @5000 miles.
          Thanks

Comment

With the endoscope. Or off rocker cover.
            I can no longer participate in this discussion since I do not have enough data on the defect.
            I asked you to measure the oil pressure - you did not want to.
            I asked you to locate the noise-you did not want to.
            A video showing a rev counter associated with a noise can not get much info.

Comment

It is difficult to identify engine faults even when listening using an engineer's stethoscope. The noise travels with almost lightening speed through metal hence regardless where you place the probe, the noise pressure will appear at similar level.

Best method for big end or small end bearings is by disabling each cylinder from firing and see if there is a change in noise.

For tappet problems only visual inspection works. Turn engine by hand whilst observing valve gear.

Comment

I did not have time to remove the cam cover as this week I am at work.
                I do not have any way to check the oil pressure .I hoped the videos would sound like a problem other people could identify.
                The noise sounds loudest on the rhs but difficult to locate .
                Sorry if you feel I have not provided enough information but hopefully with help my noise can be identified.

Comment

Sounds like valve rattle so I am inclined to agree with Tolly.

Comment

Update-have got a pressure tester that was sold as a oil pressure tester but is really a compression tester as it goes up to 500psi.Also it has been raining so have not been able to test it.
                    Have bought another 450 but now have a different problem so will start a new thread.
                    Thanks for all the help will update on any progress

Comment

I tried to use my oil pressure tester but none of the adapters would thread into the oil pressure switch hole.
                      So I have taken off the cam cover and looked at the cam/valve gear.
                      It all looks Ok with nothing obviously broken.
                      When the cam is not pushing down on the valves there is a small amount of sideways play on the rocker end that is on the valve.If I then push down on the valve a couple of times the side play disappears .
                      This happens one all the valves.If I move the engine position the side play reappears .
                      Then valves that are being compressed by the cam are solid with no play.
                      Is this normal?
                      Should I be able to depress the hydraulic tappet end ?
                      Also I noticed the left exhaust rocker seemed to be very close to the cam post so I gently put a screwdriver between the rocker and the cam post and there was a click and the rocker moved away from the post.I could not see any damage to the rocker or the post.
                      Any ideas ?
                      Thanks

Comment

That sounds exactly like when the little metal straps on my clutch plate/flywheel snapped. I was convinced it was a big end or somesuch bearing. I went all over the engine with a long screwdriver against my head & still the sound seemed to come from the pulley end of the block. Eventually one day I couldn't get the car into gear, it sounded like it was trying to crunch the gears in without the clutch! That was when the problem was found. I have some pictures of it but can't seem to up load anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr T View Post
                          That sounds exactly like when the little metal straps on my clutch plate/flywheel snapped. I was convinced it was a big end or somesuch bearing. I went all over the engine with a long screwdriver against my head & still the sound seemed to come from the pulley end of the block. Eventually one day I couldn't get the car into gear, it sounded like it was trying to crunch the gears in without the clutch! That was when the problem was found. I have some pictures of it but can't seem to up load anything?
                          Were there any other symptoms that with hindsight could have narrowed down the noise/location?
                          How many miles did you manage before it went bang?
                          Thanks

Comment

Play in rocker/tappet .
                            Is it bad?
                            They are all the same.
                            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by peanut450 View Post
                              Play in rocker/tappet .
                              Is it bad?
                              They are all the same.
                              Thanks

To my eyes the cam bearing cap isn't sitting properly - offset to one side with wear surface of cam peeking out. Suspect someone has been in there recently. And no, I wouldn't expect a hyd tappet to be so easily displaced.

Comment

I have had the cover off to replace the camchain but did not remove the camshaft.
                                Apart from the bearing caps what stops the can from moving sideways?
                                I am going to order 6 tappets is INA brand OK?
                                I have owned this car for 2 years so this is how the camshaft has been.
                                Thanks

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X