No announcement yet.

Smart 450 oil covered driveshaft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant be coming from the dipstick... After a 40+ mile run the dipstick is still in and still tight fitted but still oil on shaft

Cant feel any oil around the oil filler cap, that all feels dry

Replaced the valve but didnt replace the pipe work of the valve, will check the valve again

Comment

Obviously, if the area has oil on it, you will need to clean it as you will never discover where it is coming from if everything is covered. So, clean again. When you go for your drive(s). you need to stop lots to have a look - that way you will be able to narrow the source point down as you will catch it before it reaches the drive shaft and is flung everywhere.

There are not many places on that side of the engine where oil can be coming from:

Oil filler cap
      Rocker box cover
      Head gasket
      Dip stick tube - top and bottom
      Cam chain cover
      Turbo oil feed, top and bottom
      Drive shaft seal
      Sump gasket (Sump if pinholed)

John

Comment

I've had the turbo drain pipe leak (corroded - a bit of a pig to replace) and the sump seal fail at the rear edge (an absolute pig to sort - corroded bolts). Both those sources are in the vicinity of the RHS driveshaft - the turbo pipe especially.

Comment

Thanks, need to give it a good clean oil is everywhere lol... But gave it a quick wipe down.

The drip is dropping from this area, I saw a drop coming from there and thats exactly where the drive shaft is covered.

Will give is a good clean
          Attached Files

Comment

Mine had oil all over this area and the driveshaft tends to spray it everywhere making it hard to narrow down the source, In my case it was the cam cover gasket - a crappy aftermarket part that didn't fit properly and got squeezed inwards (so you couldn't see it happening) every time the cover was tightened down. A can of brake cleaner is useful for washing off oil.

Comment

Sorry for late reply

Finally got a change to clean bits up with brake cleaner. Went for a quick 5 min drive and there was oil around the dipstick base where it joins into the engine under the car. But I dont see how this can get onto the drive shaft or is it possible for it to squirt out and onto the shaft?

Its maybe leaking else where like the rocker cover but thats where I have noticed so far

Thanks again

Thanks

Comment

Finally got a new oring fitted

Old was was all chewed up with PTFE tape around it

Is the dipstick retainer plate / tab supposed to be flat or have a slight bend? Mine has a slight bend to it, the leak seems to be alot less but wondering if that tab should be flat for a better seal?

Thanks
                Attached Files

Comment

Flange on dip stick tube should sit flush.

Comment

I think my main leak was actually the sump. Someone made a dodgy diy sump gasket that reacted with the oil and heat and went bad. Fitted a one made by evilution and perfect seal but still a slight leak from somewhere higher up unless its just left overs from the old leaking sump gasket that blew a liter of oil everywhere along the back end....

Thanks

Comment

Mine suffered from an oil leak that dripped onto the driveshaft and flung oil everywhere. I eventually tracked it down to the cam cover gasket leaking at the front edge (under the inlet manifold where you can't see it!).

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X