Rebuilding .8 CDI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding .8 CDI

I've seen two ways to set cam timing for this engine. one way, align cam sprocket alignment marks/lines with top of cylinder head using straight edge, second way align sprocket alignment lines with alignment marks with small timing marks so sprocket alignment lines are under the edge of the head surface. Basically making the second way opposite most all other engine timing procedures. Which is correct....?

Thanking you in advance.

If the two options have the cam exactly180 degrees different it wont matter as the half turn is one turn of the crank so it and the pistons will be in the same position whichever of the two position the cam is in.

Comment

OK, thanks, so the electronics of the car will figure out when to send fuel to the piston on the compression stroke so to speak..? Seeing as there isn't a typical cam position sensor.

Comment

Fuel timing is deduced from the crank position sensor. It senses approaching TDC by slightly slowed cranking during starting than runs from there.

Comment

OK, thank you. I timed this engine as per the German Shop Manual as it showed a picture of how they timed their engine. They had the cam sprocket located with the alignment lines below centre and aligned with two small alignment location marks. This is totally opposite to all engines I have ever built All other engines have been gasoline versions both automobile and motorcycle engines and they all require the cam sprocket alignment marks to be level with the top of the head surface. This single picture in this semi official manual in German has my head scratching. Everyone but one person(but wouldn't explain why) I have spoken with agrees it would make no difference if it were in either location. If you think about each stroke of the engine in it's cycle. Especially seeing as there is no cam sensor to say it has to be one way over the other. So I still wonder which is correct...lol.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X