Where did everybody go?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did everybody go?

Been years since I logged in after selling our Roadster. Thinking about he getting another 450 and logged back in to find a ghost town. Where has everyone moved to?

Smart's have become so main stream, no one bothers to fix the issues themselves anymore. You might find a few more people on the social media sites.

Comment

Of all of the three main forums, this is the only one left standing, as Smartz and thesmartclub have both been shut down, taking all that information and history with them. In its place are, now, some thirty or more smart clubs on Facebook, each with their own moderators and admin, and they don't talk to one another. Most of these clubs are badly moderated and a few are toxic.

About a couple of years ago, I thought I'd have a go at setting up a new arrangement whereby all the group admins could talk to one another and share their events across all the other groups, in a vain attempt at recreating something like what used to exist on the forums. I wrote to what must have been about thirty or forty people. All but one never even acknowledged my attempt to contact them: the one that did was incredibly rude.

One thing that stands out for me is just how toxic it has become, after a particularly unpleasant encounter with one person. It was at that point I abandoned any hope of social contact with other smart car owners.

These days I go to a lot of general car meets, and the one thing that I have noticed is that you never see smart car owners at any of them. For a long time I felt really bereft about it all as I felt we had lost something really good - but I have simply moved on.

Smartz and SmartManiacs do have a presence on Facebook, but they aren't properly moderated and have been pretty much neglected. You could try there. I do post on them now and again.
      Last edited by OrangeDave; 02-09-23, 11:23 AM.

Comment

That’s a shame. This was the first forum I ever joined. My For Two was the reason I joined and the forum kept it going and made modifying so much easier. Fudge Smart was a chap who did clever things with them back in the day.,
        Been thinking of getting a Brabus For Two again as a second/ town car. Just cannot get interested in electric milk floats.

Comment

Originally posted by smartski View Post
          That’s a shame. This was the first forum I ever joined. My For Two was the reason I joined and the forum kept it going and made modifying so much easier. Fudge Smart was a chap who did clever things with them back in the day.,
          Been thinking of getting a Brabus For Two again as a second/ town car. Just cannot get interested in electric milk floats.

Well, I've been driving electric now for nearly seven years and now have a Mini Electric. The new fortwo will have a good range, so I'm waiting for that to come out. I'm considering working with a few others to get the smartmaniacs group of FB going again.

Comment

That would probably be as good a place as any to site it. The site used to be a lot of fun with some very knowledgeable users happy to help with advice when it was needed.

Comment

Try as I might I just can’t get interested in electric cars…..

Comment

Originally posted by smartski View Post
                Try as I might I just can’t get interested in electric cars…..
                Well, to be honest I don't think you're going to have much choice in about ten years from now. However, parking that issue aside, I do love the smart brand, and I care very much about the community I was once part of. Unfortunately, of all the FB groups, most are poorly moderated, and some are downright toxic. Poor moderation here and in other forums set the scene the today's problems unfortunately. I've considered asking SuperStevie if he would join me asking the admin of that site on FB if he would give us the chance to revive it there. It's just an idea at the moment, but I would have to go back to driving a smart again before I could do that.

Comment

I’m 58 and figure that I can probably avoid electric cars entirely if I choose something / some cars that I like and can keep running.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X