Winter Tyres

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Tyres

Just ordered some Continental WinterContact TS 860. Never considered using winter tyres on previous cars, however this is my first Smart Fortwo Prime Premium Plus 0.9 and because of its size I feel like I need to as it comes with summer tyres by default.

I have watched some reviews on this tyre but nothing covering it with this car. However, is seems to come up top for numerous years in a row plus it seems to cut down on the cabin noise (god this car is loud inside!!). Which is my reason for choosing it.

Anyone had any experience with this particular winter tyre on their car?

Firstly it seems these tyres are difficult to get hold of through tyre fitters, called a number of garages with no success. I ended up ordering them online for my tyres.co.uk on the 8th Nov with a expected delivery date of the 15th. Not cheap, but if it improves winter safety and at the same time reduce the dreadful cabin noise then for me, I think it’s worth it.

Comment

Nokian Weathproof Gen IIs. Proper 3 peaks snow rated, yet behave perfectly well in the summer. Those and Crossclimate 2s are starting to make season specific tyres a bit pointless, they're that decent.

Comment

Swapped over tyres today (£48)

Comment

Originally posted by mrmcrae View Post

Anyone had any experience with this particular winter tyre on their car?
          Not the Continentals but have been using Kleber (owned by Michelin) Quadraxers the past 5 (maybe more) winters. On snow, they are a revelation compared to summer tyres.

Comment

Originally posted by mrmcrae View Post
            Swapped over tyres today (£48)
            Smarter putting winters on steel rims. Used to be cheap from dealer about £26 each when I bought. I have Maxxis and Vredenstein winters. Ultra quiet because mine is a 450 Cabrio and a diesel. No road noise. Engine is whisper quiet. Applying several coats of 2 pack epoxy ballast tank paint plus 6 litres of bitumen Tetraschutz to the underbody helped a lot to make mine super quiet.

Comment

• mrmcrae
              mrmcrae commented
              Editing a comment
              I considered getting steels but I just wanted them on asap. I'll look at it next year. Not sure about going to the extreme of sound proofing as you lol. However, I am looking at sound deadening/proofing the drivers side rear wheel arch as best as I can. Just not sure what's best to use, need to have a look first as I'm not sure how much space is avail to stick anything to. Hoping the trim is easy to remove...

Apply underbody Schutz now before winter and whilst there is no rust. Preserves your Smart and deadens noise. Cheap too about £5 per litre.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X