No announcement yet.

Roadster Starting Problem, help please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster Starting Problem, help please!

Hi, hoping someone can help me out.

I am having a problem with my 2004 Smart Roadster. If I disconnect the battery connection and reconnect, the car will start and run perfectly, everything works fine and car will continue to drive fine.

If I switch the engine off and try to restart the car, it refuses to turn over, there is a whir sound (fuel pump prime I assume but no starter). Dashboard lights are normal but I have noticed that the N symbol flickers and I have found that the clutch actuator moves slightly every few seconds.

If I disconnect the battery and reconnect it after a few seconds, the car starts and runs perfectly again!

Thanks for any advice you might be able to give me

Paul

Re: Roadster Starting Problem, help please!

First start would be to replace both earth leads (battery & engine).
    http://www.smartmods.co.uk/index.php?page=details&id=3

I had all kinds of starting issues with mine until I replaced them.
    Not had a single issue since.

Comment

or even the disconnectable ones, which makes removing the battery lead a hell of a lot easier

http://smartmods.co.uk/index.php?page=details&id=90

Comment

I have this problem occasionally on my Roadster and I find that putting it in gear, taking the handbrake off and rocking the car slightly before trying again usually sorts the problem out.

Are these leads hard to fit?

Comment

5 minute job

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeDave View Post
            I have this problem occasionally on my Roadster and I find that putting it in gear, taking the handbrake off and rocking the car slightly before trying again usually sorts the problem out.

Are these leads hard to fit?
            This would suggest to me clutch adjustment/clutch worn - it's pretty symptomatic of it not being able to disengage fully.... an earth lead wouldn't fix that. :|

In retrospect, I suppose "supercalafragalisticexpialadocious" wasn't a great "safe word..."

Comment

Thanks very much for the tips, will renew the earth leads tomorrow as I had a quick look and the engine one is very corroded, the battery one looks ok but I will change it anyway.

Thanks for the advice about rocking the car, will let you know how I get on with it all, thanks again,

Paul.

Comment

Starter motor
                Www.BigPerformance.Co.Uk

020 328 REMAP (02032873627)
                STAR diagnostics. Remapping. Dyno. Key coding
                TAN codes. SCN codes. Body shop. Trimming. Crash repairs

Comment

Originally posted by RacingSnake View Post
                  This would suggest to me clutch adjustment/clutch worn - it's pretty symptomatic of it not being able to disengage fully.... an earth lead wouldn't fix that. :|
                  The clutch was replaced three months ago, and the car hasn't even done 30k yet. Sometimes, there is a "pregnant pause" when operating the starter. Evidently, this is a common feature.

Comment

Hi again,
                    I replaced both of the earth cables today and unfortunately the problem still exists. Car starts fine and runs perfect when you connect the battery, switch it off and it won't restart until you disconnect and reconnect the battery again.
                    Any more advice greatly appreciated,
                    Paul

Comment

see if just pulling fuse 27 for 10 seconds helps (power off obviously) if it does it may point to ECU, does it do this when both hot and cold?

Comment

Thanks madDan, will try that tomorrow, yes it does the same whether hot or cold.

Comment

Could be a flat spot on the starter motor?

Comment

Well!
                            Speculations here!
                            There must be a system for sensing if the engine is running.
                            If there is a fault in that it might prevent the starter from engaging and if so there should be a fault code and the engine light would come on. The problem here is that You cant start the engine to see if the engine light comes on.
                            Have You at any time read the faut codes before disconnecting the battery? That might give a clue. This is an engine related thing so it should be possible to read with any code reader.

Jörgen

Comment

Hi,
                              The engine light does not come on and there are no fault codes stored.
                              I have just tried pulling fuse 27 for a few seconds as suggested by madDan and that does enable the car to start, hope that helps pinpoint the problem.
                              Very many thanks, Paul

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X