Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System control signal on a 4 channel amp.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System control signal on a 4 channel amp.

A short while ago I inherited an 'old, low powered' 4channel amp which will do very nicely
    for what I have in mind.

Obviously it has an array of RCA input and output sockets and next to the supply terminals
    there is the system control input.

Could someone refresh my memory/ clarify my understanding. I believe the 'System control' wire
    can inhibit /enable the amp, but does it have to be connected?

I was intending to leave it 'floating'(i.e disconnected) or do I still have to ground it - or connect it
    to a positive voltage?

Thaks in advance

Re: System control signal on a 4 channel amp.

If it's a general remote signal it'll require 12v to turn the amp on

Comment

That could be very useful and ties in with my next question..

I was reluctant to connect the amp (via fuse) directly to the battery, as it would be permanently live,
      albeit not driven by an input signal.

I was considering using one of the spare ignition fuse slots on the SAM, which I believe can operate
      at 25A max (the rating of the 2 fuses on the amp).

On the pretty safe assumption that MadDan is correct, does that mean I could wire the amp
      directly and run any ignition signal to the system control.

Better yet, I could connect via a shiny switch and effectively have an ON/OFF switch, allowing me to
      switch half my speakers at the touch of a button.....

Comment

What you mention above sounds very reasonable in terms of connecting to the Sam

I have installed many amps in many cars and I have always done the same way, power from battery with inline fuse, remote wire from head unit. It's how I have always seen it done too

If u connect just the power to battery and amp it will not be constant live as it will not turn on until it receives a positive signal on the remote terminal.

IMO you are making this more complicated than necessary, though that's not to say it can't be done

Comment

Just wire the live & control to the same switched live port on the Sam & Bob is your parents brother.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X