• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smartjames
    replied
    Re: TV touch screen ?

Originally posted by Evilution View Post
    Almost all of the under seat subs have a built in amp.

Originally posted by Kapt. Q View Post
    I'm with Evil on this, only an amplified sub is really needed along with good quality speakers that a high quality head unit with an integrated amp will easily drive, anything else is probably overkill in a Smart.

Cheers!
    Ok brilliant so I'm looking at getting a good nice pioneer/kenwood double din head unit separate door and tweeters and a underseat sub and I'm sorted one more thing what am I needing on the head unit to power this ie ports etc

Many thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone

Leave a comment:

• Kapt. Q
    replied

I'm with Evil on this, only an amplified sub is really needed along with good quality speakers that a high quality head unit with an integrated amp will easily drive, anything else is probably overkill in a Smart.

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• Evilution
    replied

Almost all of the under seat subs have a built in amp.

Leave a comment:

• Smartjames
    replied

Thanks for the input mate I just really don't know where to start and don't want to buy something that then find out later it's not really any good to me ! So I I went for a good double din headunit tweeters and door speakers and I was looking at the underseat subs too would I need a amp ? Sorry as I know nothing about amps,watts etc

Sent from my iPhone

Leave a comment:

• Evilution
    replied

I disagree about needing an amp. The smart has a small cabin so it's easy to fill with sound and as the speakers are door mounted in a plastic fascia with a plastic exterior panel, there is no point going too loud as the whole car vibrates and you lose sound quality. The reason amps are used are because stereos never used to be that powerful and aftermarket (more powerful) speakers weren't very sensitive so needed driving. Speakers have come a long way and aftermarket stereos have very good solid state amps built in, easily enough to drive the size of speakers that you can actually fit in the doors.

Powerful speakers that would actually require an amp usually have more throw on the cones so are deeper and wider. You aren't fitting these in your doors.

Separate tweeters are a better idea as high frequencies are very focused so don't spread out that well. If they are in the doors firing towards your leg, you'll lose a lot of the high end.

I have always liked the undersea subs, no they won't tear your ears off or rip your face off but I prefer a full frequency sound. The bass should compliment the sound, not kill it.

Leave a comment:

• Smartjames
    replied

Oh many thanks mate for your input most helpful

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• adrimo
    replied

Separate will be better most of the time depending on budget, I like my tweets near my mids so as I gave a 450 with mids under dash I located the tweets on the dash, however in previous installs when I had speakers in the doors I mounted the tweets lower down by doors and in the kick wells.

Long story short is buy separates then you can play with locations and setting on the crossovers.

Leave a comment:

• Smartjames
    replied

So is it wise to get door speakers with built on tweeters or keep them separate ? I'm sorry guys I really know ****** all about sound systems and the watts etc ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Smartjames
    replied

Sorry for slow replys I'm not get notifications ;( yeah I'm starting fresh so need:

Head unit
    Amp
    Door speakers
    Tweeters

and I live in kemsing kent
    Yeah I'm debating on whether or not to get a sub and it's only from what others have told me it will be better sound quality if I get an amp and sub rather than no amp and running them off the head unit. But that's why I'm asking on here as you guys have been in my place and find out what has worked for use and get the best that will work for me.

I'm hoping that I will buy bit by bit so not really a budget but don't want to spend more than £300 head unit say £150 for a amp and not sure on the door speakers £100ish

Cheers people for the advice

Sent from my iPhone

Leave a comment:

• adrimo
    replied

In my opinion a system with a good quality amp will always sound better than any system run off just the head unit.
    Sound quality will be better, it's not just about volume.

A sub is a decision for you but I have to have a sub in my system as it allows the mids and tweeters to only play the music which they are designed for and your sub can do the lower notes.

If I were you I would buy some deadening for the doors to go around the speakers and the sub area if you get one.

What is your budget?

Leave a comment:

• problemchild1976
    replied

i had an amp on my fortwo and an active sub enclosure in the boot but the amp defo wasn't needed (had a decentish head unit fitted)

on my forfour i upgraded the speakers to £25 alpines keeping the front tweeters stock and the stock mini sub then got a pioneer HU and the sound is PLENTY loud enough.

JJ

Leave a comment:

• Evilution
    replied

Try and match the speakers to the amperage of the amp.
    Do you need an amp though?
    Never had one in any of my smarts before and they went plenty loud without distorting.
    I'd say save the money from the amp and use it on sound deadening for the doors.

Where in the UK are you?

Leave a comment:

• Big Performance
    replied

Car Audio Security in Hayes are the best people to talk to.
    Ask if Carl is available

Leave a comment:

• Smartjames
    replied

Sorry to sound thick but the sound system is something I ever change so this will kinda be my first time !

What kinda watts speakers should I look for and the amp too ? as the smart car is small shouldn't think I'll be needing a sub too ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

Leave a comment:

• Smartjames
    replied

Thanks for the input guys and I must say I do prefer the double dins so will be going for that !

Second I have only ever had pioneer,kenwood stuff really and they have never let me down in the past so going for that make for the head unit.

So just leaves amp and tweeters and the door speakers I think for that I will get out and listen to a few and just see what sounds good to me

Hahaha on the Chinese copies I not long seen them on eBay must say I wouldn't ever get one some do look good lol

Thanks again everyone you must get asked all the same question each time a newbie enters the forum hehe

Sent from my iPhone

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X