Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help

Please go to www.save-steve.co.uk
    Please spare 5 mins to read it could make a difference to all road users.
    Thnk you for helping

Re: please help

Having read the info on the website, trying to decide whether to sign the petition or not is a difficult call to make - after all, we're only hearing one side of the story, and it's been admitted on the website that both cars involved were doing an average of 90mph in "absolutely appallingly wet conditions". I can't help wondering why two cars would be doing that sort of speed in such bad conditions if there wasn't some element of competition?

However, a friend of mine was charged with attempted murder a couple of years back, just because a car he was following was messing around on the road (speeding, swerving etc) and it somehow swerved and hit my friend's car, and pushed him onto the central reservation of a dual carriageway. All 3 occupants of the other car claimed my friend had been chasing them and caused them to hit him. I supported him through his court case and luckily it was eventually dropped, but I know the pain, worry and anguish that something like this (i.e being wrongly charged) can cause, even without death being involved.

For that reason alone, I believe that if there's any doubt at all about what happened, then Steve deserves a retrial. I've signed the petition.

Lulu

Comment

Being wrongly charged is one thing, but to change his plea from not guilty, to guilty, if he still believed in his own innocence, is well, a little stupid IMHO.

Sorry, but that's as far as I got in reading it.

D.

Comment

Originally posted by notts-smartie
        Being wrongly charged is one thing, but to change his plea from not guilty, to guilty, if he still believed in his own innocence, is well, a little stupid IMHO. Sorry, but that's as far as I got in reading it. D.
        That is harsh. People do plead guilty for many reasons, even when they may not be; the law is such a lottery that sometimes this is advised.

Also, there can be a residual guilt in being involved in such a tragic incident, that can only be assuaged by a guilty plea; this is akin to a cry for help, & should not be punished.

Even if there was a race, the tragic Fiesta was not forced to race; Stephen Jackson should not be blamed for something that was the responsibility of another.

None of us know what happened, but all too often The Law punishes the wrong people. If Stephen has a record of anti-social motoring behaviour, the judge should say this is the reason for the punishment; but if Stephen doesn't have a bad record, he should have the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

Sorry but a friend of the family has just lost her baby due to a simlar incident , difference being that she was in neither car and was just walking on the pavement when one of two cars that were racing lost control an hit her causing her to lose her unborn child and her 3 year old son that was with her is still in a coma.

The driver that hit ended up taking his own life rather than face trail , the other driver has just been sent down for 18 month plus a ban.

As for the BS about the cars would not be racing as one was more powerful than the other ???? Oh yer cos that would stop them ..... red rag and bull spring to mind .

Of course the family belives its an injustice , thats what familys do they stick together like they should , but I'm sorry but just from reading the defence on that site I'm not surprised at what he got.

Sorry cant support and this is just my opinion

Comment

As readers can see there are many facets to this enigma. The problem lies in two parts really. Theres the speeding and theres the accident. We all know that we all speed. Right or wrong we all do it. Yes it is very tragic that sometimes as a result people get hurt. Sometimes it is very hard to believe who is right or wrong.

One night on a very dark dual carriageway a car pulled out on me across my lane. I was actually not speeding that night ( I dont speed all that much) and in my efforts to miss it I performed what most stunt drivers can ony dream of which was sliding all the way around the offending car from the rear around the side and across the front. It did not stop there as I then hit a kerb slid down an ebankment sideways and flipped over into a hedge. After a while passing cars stopped and helped as I was trapped with only my car light barely visable. That is the honest to God true story but what did the offending cars occupants say to the police......"We were waiting at the junction and saw this car lose control all by itself and leave the road" No other witnesses so what can I say. The police believed me but they had no solid proof.

In Steves case, if they were racing then yes that is bad and should not/can not be condoned but if the Fiesta left the road without any contact from Steve's car then it cant be Steve's fault. For all we know that Fiesta might have done exactly the same thing all by itself! Ultimately the Fiesta car's driver was responsible for that vehicle. Nobody can say what if's after the fact. Do I think Steve was racing? Well, probably for about a second and then went along his merry way. Does it matter what I think? NO I WAS NOT THERE and neither was anybody else.

I guess what I am trying to say is, in my accident I could have been killed and the verdict would have been that I did it by myself even though this is totally wrong. Proof is what the law needs to go by and in Steves case there is just not enough proof to send him away for 5years. He should have got a slap on the wrist for speeding and commended that he had the decency to stop and help (like my rescuers) after all he could have just gone home! He stayed and saved a life and look where that got him. This all smells wrong in my book. Keep your spirits up Steve.

Comment

The truth is we dont know. But 5 years probably means the case was alot worse than described on the website. Everyone here must bear in mind that the website statement will be biased and that evidence would have been used in court to prosecute the offender. All I am saying is that I trust the justice system and that if there were grounds for appeal it would have been done through the courts not on the web Silver

Thats what I think anyway :shade:

Comment

Sadly I don't trust the justice system. After my friend's experience of being charged with attempted murder though just being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and more recently those poor women branded as baby killers by a system which believed the flawed evidence of an 'expert', you have to admit the system does get it wrong.

Steve's case? Who knows? Presumably only the people involved that night, 2 of whom are dead. But he deserves the right to fight his conviction, which is, I believe, what the petition is for.

Lulu

Comment

Where they convicted of Attempted murder?

Babies thing was Stupid with a capitol S. Especially seems they seem very cautious about more reliable evidence like DNA etc . Dont get me wrong I dont think their stance on that is wrong but the stupidity of listening to one man with a theory

Comment

Attempted murder is if you try and kill someone but they survive. Manslaughter is if you kill someone but not deliberately :smile:

Comment

Losing the plot slightly here but if you were asking if my friend was convicted of attempted murder - no, he wasn't. The case was thrown out by the Judge - but not until my friend had suffered nearly two years of mental torture over and worry over what might happen to him, his family, his reputation and his career if by some chance he was convicted.

Lulu

Comment

I got hit buy a car while out on bike..when i protested thay tried to drive at me...and who got a criminal record..me for removing wing mirror..thay got off scot free even tho thay where driving with a mobile phone in one hand and tried to run me down...laws a facking arse..Black I

Comment

Originally posted by s2trash
                          ...laws a facking arse..Black I
                          I agree with you Tom

Comment

What would have happened if he'd pleaded not guilty? Judging from the fact he pleaded guilty he was pretty sure of being convicted anyway, but what difference would it have made to the sentence?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X