No announcement yet.

Who has tyre weld / a spare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hav got the tyre weld and an electric inflater ,just in case..

Comment

For those of us who are not proactive!!

Are there any products you can carry in the car and use in the event of a puncture??

Comment

A Suggestion - - When mounting new tires, put whatever sealant is your choice into the tire before mounting on the wheel. A lot easier that trying to insert via the valve stem.

In North America we have used a fluid sealant/wheel balancer in large truck tires. The centifical force sends it to the light spot of an unbalanced tire as it spins.

Comment

For those of us who are not proactive!!
          Are there any products you can carry in the car and use in the event of a puncture??
          Mobile phone to summon help?

Comment

I must be the only one on this site who does not believe in the 'goo' method.

I have driven over 30 years and always (repeat) always carry a spare tyre, to give me the assurance that no matter the type of punture, I can be away again in less than 20 minutes

To sell you a car without a spare wheel makes me mad

Its pure criminal, they say its down to space requirements (pah!), but it saves them £50 every time, by not supplying a spare, brace and scizzor jack.

I have bought two new Smarts in the past and always negociated a free spare tyre to clinch the deal ...suttle hint to those going to buy a new Smart

Our lattest Fortwo was secondhand, so I have bought a spare front wheel to carry in the boot, to give me that piece of mind.

So just think about the next time you are stuck in some miserable place with a punture, awaiting road assist or hoping your compressor will do the trick :eek: .... why not consider carrying a spare tyre, like 95% of the rest of the motoring public.

Comment

I have Ultra-seal - Terry has nothing until the next time we get to Smartarse - make sure you have some in stock, Paul! Place your bets on who will get the puncture!

Comment

col i agree with you totally, however i got a roadster, and had to accept the fact that there just isnt anywhere to put a spare so i got the breakdown kit thingy but am hoping never to have to use it, as for the sake of a small punct, ill just get it repaired (£3ish) as opposed to using that stuff and then needing a new tyre, and new bottle of goo!

Comment

I have Ultra seal in mine.

Comment

I have
                    Breakdown cover.
                    Holts Tyreweld
                    Compact spare (As of 15th of this month)

Lost a completely shredded tyre last month on the M1.
                    Not taking any chances any more as it meant a nights stayover and a long tow home.

Now all i need is someone to do a nice towbar type attachment at the rear where i can mount the spare and cover it 4x4 style......

Comment

For bikes at work we use a stuff called SLIME. Green with bits in, about £5 per bottle retail, Its rated upto 150mph. Works really well, but it can cause wheel imbalance, doubt smarts have enough acceleration to cause the fault though, i rode a GSXR1000 and if you nailed it hard you could feel it, but if you just accelerated hard it was fine even at 160+....

As yet my Smarts tyres are empty but will probably stick some in them as i worry about the missus out at night driving home and getting a puncture or breakdown.

To read about slime see ... www.motrax.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by FesterSaurus
                        Compact spare (As of 15th of this month)
                        Is it a true space saver, it can't be that much thiner than a standard front tyre, can it? Where are you going to store it?

Comment

Originally posted by ColSmart
                          Is it a true space saver, it can't be that much thiner than a standard front tyre, can it? Where are you going to store it?
                          Its tempting to find a way to bolt it to the rear of the car and cover it 4x4 style.
                          i don't carry much kit anyway, and the car only has me in it, so anywhere it will fit will do.

Best guess is I'll put it in a tyre bag and leave it bumping around in the back

I'll let you know how it progresses...its giving me food for thought.

Comment

Iv got my spare jambed between the rear of the passengers seat and the tailgate of the boot, its a perfect fit, lying flat in the boot, but only fixed down with bunge cords.

Did not really bother me till I was watching '5th gear' and they were taking about lethal luggage flying around. Anything weighty and loose will go crazy if you decelerate quickly.

So I have now got it bolted down.
                            Last edited by ColSmart; 10-11-04, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Ultra Seal in ya wheels....saves any problems

Comment

I realise this is a very old post but an afternoon of perusing back through the old polls proved much more tempting than work.. and after reading thorugh this one i thought id tell of my experience as a possible warning to people who chose the number 5 option..

To cut a long story short..

there was ice.. skidding.. bank (as in side of the road rather than barclays).. puncture.

I took out breakdown cover through my Insurance, Diamond.

I phoned them.. explained of puncture and told them i had no spare tyre.

They told me that i had to have a spare tyre or a puncture repair kit.. or my breakdwon policy was invalid and they wouldnt come out..

Luckily the strange can that i occasionally heard ratteling around in the side storage hole in the back was a can of puncture repair seal stuff.

It turned out the breakdown people were just trying to get out of helping because once i told them i did have a can of seal puncture repair stuff they came out and towed me home.. so i didnt even need it.

Anyway.. my point is, to all you number 5's, im not sure if other breakdown companies operate the same policy, but its something to be aware of.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X