England Flags?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well it's happened.

Bradford City Council have banned taxi drivers fitting the flags in case they upset Asian taxi drivers!

next thing you know they will ban GB numberplates!
    Sporting any flag as a shared symbol of unity is great, BUT all too often flags are used to symbolise division & hate.

I don't think Bradford can ban GB plates, & should Bradford Council insist locals have BD or IND or PAK plates on their cars instead of GB, I will be amused, unless/until they too become symbols of division & hate.

Comment

Anyone know of any decent counties to live in that protect the sensitivities of the English?

No I thought not, if I were to move abroad I would have to adopt the lifestyle of the host country, this has got to be the only country in the world that does it the other way around.

Totally crazy.

Comment

PC has gone mad at least in the US they are not ashamed to be American, go to America live the American way. Want to stay there permanently pledge alligence to the flag and constitution. In the UK do you we have a question on the form that says, Is there anything we can change to make your stay more comfortable?

I've got nothing against immigration/ people actually needing asylum, either past, present or future. But I'm quite happy to be British and when it comes to 'national' sports then I'm most definitly English.

PC gone mad
        1, government departments now use green refuse sacks instead of 'black bags' to avoid offending anyone.
        2, brain storming is not aloud due to possible offence caused to epileptics, have a thought shower instead!
        3, and don't even think about using the term nitty gritty as banned by the police (see Here

Comment

..... PC has gone mad at least in the US they are not ashamed to be American, go to America live the American way .....
          And become a member of the most hated nation .....

Patriotism can be a just & noble cause, but can also be the last refuge of the scoundrel (to quote the great patriot Samuel Johnson).

As for MadDan's assertion that if he was to move abroad he would have to adopt the lifestyle of the host country, the evidence, such as it is, across the spectrum from football hooligan to holidaymaker to expat worker to retiree is that Brits do not adapt to the lifestyle of the host country but do as much as possible to take their lifestyle(s) with them.

Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but it should make for toleration when foreign lifestyles are brought here.

I am proud of this nation when flag-waving is motivated by fairness & tolerance, and ashamed when it is used to fan hate or support the bulling & bombing of misguided raggamuffins, the vast majority of whom have not only done us no harm, but who are patriots in their own world.

I promise to try to make that my last word on the subject.

Comment

It's a shame the way PC has gone.
            In the 'early' days it was used sensibly by people to try and not cause offence. All sorts of words and actions from our past DO cause real offence and any way of trying to understand 'other ways' was welcome.
            PC nowadays is a dirty word to many sensible folk because it has been hijacked to pressure people in a quasi fascist manner.
            If I find an action or word that I use causes REAL offence I will try to understand why and ammend my ways.
            The England flags on cars are not being used in a divisive way - they are being used to show support for the England football team - any sensible person realises that.
            As to the 'dictators' of PC they can get stuffed!

Edited by - Ian Bower on 09 Jun 2004 08:58:01

Comment

aaaaaaaaahh the flags have been driving me mad, all i can hear now when car's go pass is the flaping of them.

Comment

I had an England flag on my Passion, but someone in the pub (the obvious authority!) told me if you put them ontop of windows without an A-Frame it damages the rubber seal?

Is that true?

I've taken it down in the meantime, and I've got a *huge* Union Jack across the load cover. All the inside of the car reflects the colours when it's in the sun - looks great!

Mark

Comment

I had an England flag on my Passion, but someone in the pub (the obvious authority!) told me if you put them ontop of windows without an A-Frame it damages the rubber seal?
                  would say it is true. the flags are designed to go inside the frame at the top of the window. up to you of course but personally i wouldn't

Comment

I wouldn't........... they look stoopid!

It is just a game! How come this time around everything is jumping on the band wagon? The other day i noticed frosties are giving away little cones to dribble around - or chuck straight in the bin.

Comment

Put a big scoop of Ice cream in them!!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X