No announcement yet.

Optimax Debate - Ultimate answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have now gone back to normal petrol, I noticed no difference in the way the car drives or MPG.

Comment

whats the difference

What is the difference can any one explain this to a novice who uses asda/morrisons ar any other supermarkets petrol
      KEEP IT LOW IN PRICE

Comment

I usually use whatever petrol is cheapest, but once in a while fill up with optimax to clean things out... and the difference really is noticable.

much smoother drive, better performance and increased mpg.

Just my opinion, try driving around with cheapy petrol for a while then switch to optimax. Guarantee you will feel the difference.

Comment

I've tried various other "super unleaded" makes inc BP and Esso, but I always get more mpg from the Optimax which even with the extra cost of the fuel (over standard unleaded) still works out cheaper on a 'pence per mile' basis.
          So, YES, I do think it's worth it!

Comment

Optimax No!

Hi All
            Voted no to Optimax dont have a local Shell garage but when have used it cannot say it made any difference. I have regularly used Esso Super Unleaded since owning my Smart and would swear by it. The engine always sounds quieter and runs smoother ,but recently have been using BP Ultimate and have to say its on a par with Esso, but its also dependent on the weather, my Smart definitely runs better and feels more powerful on dry cool and cold days. It can run like a pig on hot days
            Tony R (0069)

Comment

Yes to Optimax If Remapped

In my understanding Optimax shouldn't make any difference to how the car drives.
              Unless the cars ECU is set up differently to run on it, if it is then running anything less would be dangerous.
              Or if the smarts engine dynamically alters the timing using knock detection.
              If it does this then it will vary with every tank of fuel, whether it'll be noticeable is another question.
              Very clever if it does.
              Does anybody know if it has knock detection?
              I'm new to smarts, only had mine for a couple of weeks, love it already :-)

Optimax has a higher octane rating which means it's more resistant to Detonation or Knocking.
              Quote “Detonation occurs when excessive heat and pressure in the combustion chamber cause the air/fuel mixture to auto ignite.â€
              This is a very bad thing. Popping pistons is the most likely result. Not ideal.

So I'd say Optimax is a must for anything with a remap,
              Or any engine running higher than standard boost.
              If it's standard then just stick to super.

Round by me Optimax is cheaper than the local Esso Garage’s Super, also right on my way home, so bit of a no brainer for me.

Comment

Weather

TonyR

Air temps will make a big difference too.

The colder the air the denser it is,
                which means more air in the cylinders
                which means a better burn and more power.
                the intercooler also works better so charge temps reduced again.

And all for free

Anybody fancy moving to syberia
                thought not

Comment

Keef

I was under the impression that most modern cars with ECU controlled ignition have a knock sensor coupled to dynamic ignition timing.

Comment

Ian

As I said I'm new to smarts and wasn't sure if they did or didn't have knock detection,
                    and if they did then it won't be dangerous and you may get more power out of the engine because of it.

I don't profess to know the ins and outs of every engine in production in recent years,
                    Just a bit of knowledge on how they work generally

That's why I asked the following question.
                    "Does anybody know if it has knock detection?"

Comment

"Does anybody know if it has knock detection?"
                      yeah they come with an airbag

Comment

This is really close... on reading the poll as it stands, were looking at (rounded off)
                        61 - Yes
                        39 - No
                        Looks like it really is up to the driver to decide

Comment

Here's something for you all to try,

Next time you go to your local shell/BP garage ask when the fuel deliveries are, try filling up straight after the tanker leaves :0)

I noticed a big difference in my roadster when I filled up after the shell tanker had just left and the forecourt opened.

Comment

missing the point

i understand everybody has a view on this subject, but i honestly think people are WASTING their money by filling up with optimax/esso super/BP ultimate if their smart is stock standard.

If you smart has not been designed to run on 97/98ron, why put it in?

Only smart should be using the higher ron are smart Brabus or remaped models.

As these are designed and NEED the extra ron to use the extra ability of their programme.

The 'premuim fuels' WILL make more difference in the performance smart models than just sticking it in a standard model.

Dan

Comment

a not very scientific test

I've had my Smarty for clsoe to 4 years, bog standard for 1st year, ran it on normal unleaded.

Got the car remapped and whenever possible I'd fill up with Optimax (not easy as closest Shell garage is close to 10 miles away, had a few hairy moments with the display flashing at me !!

BP garage on way to work started selling Ultimate, gave that a go as well.

Each time I'd run the car on specific petrol for a minimum of two months (even if it meant going out my way to get if filled with Optimax !!), town driving and *cough* off the speedo motorway driving

I did notice a difference between BP Ultimate and Shells Optimax - Shell wins hand down (with my car and all the 'go faster' bits it had added). When I used Ultimate the car seemed really sluggish and not as responsive as it had been. Switching back to Optimax and after a couple of tanks was back to what I'd call normal. Switch to standard unleaded and its back to feeling sluggish again.

Best mileage I ever got was on Optimax and that was done with town / motorway driving (blast up motorway to Bradford and back via York - close to 300Km on a tank (the older, smaller tank 22L).

So, if you're still reading this (!!) on the setup I have on my car at the moment, I'd plump for Optimax over anything else on the forecourts, pay the extra because my car feels a lot more responsive and seems to have a bit more get up and go

Comment

optimax works for definate!!! when i first filled up on the stuff and drove out of the shell garage it moved like it had 10bhp more! lot better responce and as for value? its 6p more than normal unleaded BUT!!! optimax or sould i say 98ron fuel saves mpg so think about that...

now im checking out the new esso super there bringout soon considering mercedes benz smarts run on mobil 1 oil (mobil 1 and esso are the same company)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X