DIY Aircon top up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Aircon top up

Who's actually used those cans/gauge kit that the likes of Halfords sell?

I've heard/read so many conflicting views, a proper system at a garage would suck all the old stuff out complete with any moisture that may have built up within the system so some are dead against the use of these cans for that reason.

OK, let's say that your car is two/three years old, the aircon works pretty much OK but you feel that it could be cooler, would you use one of those cans then? If it just needs topping up how many times/years is it safe to do it this way?

If the car is already years old or there's been a leak at some point then I reckon that a garage needs to do the job. What do you guys think?

http://www.interdynamics-europe.co.uk/

Re: DIY Aircon top up

I've used the EZ chill from Halfords with some success on my Ford Focus when it lost efficiency at the ripe old age of two. That was two years ago and it's been working overtime this past week and still going strong.

Apparently manufacturers don't completely fill the system from new as a cost cutting measure so adding a bit in these circumstances will probably work well.

Comment

Just get someone to do it - pretty sure it only costs about £30

JJ

www.forfour.co.uk (tech 454) - www.quidco.com/user/417377/1833011/ (free £)

Comment

i got the roadie done last week at a formula one auto place - was 45 quid

i also got them to clean out the vents as well which cost an extra 15

i was happy with that as its freezing now and smells more fresher

Comment

Originally posted by problemchild1976 View Post
          Just get someone to do it - pretty sure it only costs about £30

JJ
          On the 451 it's not that easy, half the front of the car has to come off just to get to the connector, don't think most places would be happy to do that without charging extra.

Comment

just ask smart - they may have an offer on.

JJ

Comment

just ask smart - they may have an offer on.

JJ
              No, I'd never take any of my vehicles to a dealer, far too expensive even when they have 'offers' on.

Either I'll strip the front end and have a mobile aircon guy come out or I'll use that can of stuff myself.

Just trying to get some views on how good that canned stuff is, is it worth the risk or should I stick with a mobile aircon guy?

Comment

There is no need for removing anything from the front in order to service the aircon.
                It looks pretty tight in there, and my thinking was that something had to be moved,
                but the guy doing the job had no problems with it.
                The job was done by a guy with no knowledge about smart.
                Bjorn

Comment

Originally posted by BBE View Post
                  There is no need for removing anything from the front in order to service the aircon.
                  It looks pretty tight in there, and my thinking was that something had to be moved,
                  but the guy doing the job had no problems with it.
                  The job was done by a guy with no knowledge about smart.
                  Bjorn
                  Are you talking about a 451 model?

Comment

Originally posted by earthman View Post
                    No, I'd never take any of my vehicles to a dealer, far too expensive even when they have 'offers' on.
                    not true - merc bristol are the very cheap for MOTs (inc full valet) and servicing is comparable to many independents.

parts are always cheapest there.

how much is a phone call??

JJ

Comment

not true - merc bristol are the very cheap for MOTs (inc full valet) and servicing is comparable to many independents.

parts are always cheapest there.

how much is a phone call??

JJ
                      None of that really matters to me, apart from MOT's & tyres I don't take any of my vehicles to garages period, from basic services to removing engines/gearboxes I do it myself, always have done.

Comment

Are you talking about a 451 model?
                        Yes.
                        Bjorn

Comment

Originally posted by BBE View Post
                          Yes.
                          Bjorn
                          Thanks, I was going to follow the instructions below.

http://www.evilution.co.uk/801

Comment

None of that really matters to me, apart from MOT's & tyres I don't take any of my vehicles to garages period, from basic services to removing engines/gearboxes I do it myself, always have done.
                            well you shouldn't generalise really or clarify your statement of
                            too expensive
                            with a
                            compared to doing it myself

i bet merc is cheaper than your local garage for mots - £32 for my last one including a full valet

JJ

Comment

well you shouldn't generalise really or clarify your statement of with a

i bet merc is cheaper than your local garage for mots - £32 for my last one including a full valet

JJ
                              Fair enough.

From my 'DIY' title I thought that it were pretty obvious that I'm not that keen on taking it to a dealer/garage in the first place, in general they are expensive, I have actually worked for a VW flagship dealership, their overheads were huge so you know who's actually paying for all that at the end of the day.

If I have to get someone else to do it I'd rather support a local mobile aircon guy, no doubt cheaper and definitely more convenient at the end of the day.

Maybe I'm just in the minority of people who like to work on their own vehicles, it does 'get my goat' when people reply with 'just take it to a garage' when they have no idea of how much I've worked on vehicles over the years.

I guess that there's more owners out there who don't have the inclination, skill or various tools to be able to work on their own cars so 'just take it to a dealer' is the obvious answer to them.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X