Wastegate actuator 451

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wastegate actuator 451

My 451 suddenly lost acceleration whilst driving to work today. There was no engine warning light, but it did come on later today when I slowly drove home this evening (with limited power). Looking on the internet it seems the most likely cause is the wastegate actuator getting stuck open. Can someone tell me how to find the wastegate actuator on a 451 so I can see if I can fix the problem with some silicone lubricant?

Also assuming it is the wastegate actuator and assuming lubricant frees it up (I'm trying to think positive!), will the warning light go out or do I need to disconnect the battery to reset it?

Thanks for any advice.

Re: Wastegate actuator 451

If you owned the previous fortwo then I'd be inclined to agree but the 451 doesn't seem to have wastegate or actuator problems.

Comment

Not sure that's right. If you Google "Smart 451 power loss" there seem to be quite a lot of issues. It seems either the wastegate actuator gets stuck open (venting the turbo power) or a sensor is faulty making the engine think the turbo is overheating.

I had this issue before when the car was just a few months old and under warranty - MB kept the car for a few days, replacing some "parts and a sensor", but its back again, and I'm typically just out of warranty.

Comment

diesel or petrol?

Comment

Diesel (CDI). I found the wastergate actuator and it was moving fine, so I'm out of ideas now.

Comment

take it back to mercedes and tell them the fault is still there!

Comment

Engine temperature sensor fault is another one I had few weeks back.
              Could drive but not about 55mph / 2100rpm

Dave
              David Spalton (OMA)
              SolidWeb.io-> European hosting at Affordable Prices (20% off with SM20)

Comment

Get it read out at Mercedes. Post the results. Engine light was on so it has someting stored. Anything else is fettling around with no clear strategy thus time-wasting.

Always work through the whole "solution tree" the star diag tells you to do for this specific fault....

carsten

Comment

Originally posted by SKN View Post
                  Not sure that's right. If you Google "Smart 451 power loss" there seem to be
                  If you google anything about 451 faults you'll usually find Americans 100% sure it's something in particular causing the problem.

Should have mentioned it was a diesel earlier. The 451 petrol turbo has very few faults. The CDi however has a lot of fun in the 54bhp variety when it comes to wiring looms tapping on the back of piezo sensors causing them to read wrong.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X