Owners - talk to me, tell me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owners - talk to me, tell me

I am looking at buying a Crossblade, so could do with some pointers as they are rather special.

I appreciate it's basically a Cabrio with some heavy aethetic touches, enginer and suspension the same etc... so mechanically there shouldn't be issues there and parts a plenty (bar panels!)

What's the going rate for one? How much did you pay for yours? Who on earth is willing to insure it and how much do you pay on what terms?

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Josh

Re: Owners - talk to me, tell me

I don't own one and I suspect the hardest part might be finding an acceptable one for sale in the 1st place -they don't come up often.

The 2 owners I know paid at least 8k (actually more) so unless the recession forces an owners hand you can expect to pay £10k, and that's if you aren't fighting another potential buyer.

Can't recall them being awkward to insure - about the same as a Brabus??

Comment

We paid over £9k for ours last summer. Was just under 7yrs old and had done iro 1400 miles, and since then we've doubled that In May we're driving it to smartville (well James is) and then later in the summer to smarttimes in Italy (though hopefully towing it there)

You'll be very lucky to find one with service history, watch out for LHD market cars (wrong lights). Check and maintain (at all costs) both the door bar latch mechanisms, if they jam with the bar down you've got big issues. Parts - well lets just say that all Crossblade specific stuff is hard to get hold of - i've been waiting 3 months for a windscreen prop and seal to arrive and still no sign of it. Oh and most seem to be suffering from paint issues, almost like acne coming up from under the plastic :censor:

Insurance? Aviva, £283.02, garaged, full NCD.
      Last edited by J500ANT; 14-03-11, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the pointers. what's the story with the paint issue...has there been any settlement? Is it just with the plastic body panels? What happens if the door locks jam, how much to fix?

Comment

With the door lock, I have heard someone had to have their door bar cut open to release the lock mechanism but cost? No idea. Paint, someone (I don't recall who) tried to get smart to repaint their car and didn't get very far. Remember they're all knocking on 8 years old now.

Comment

I know this is a really chuffing obvious thing to say, but you do need to keep it in a garage! I've seen one in a pretty poor state that was just left outside

Comment

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/se...ant1.modelId=2

http://www.autoscout24.eu/List.aspx?...rue&sort=price
              sigpic
              DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

Comment

Blimey! Didn't realise there were so many for sale on the mainland. Not sure I can be bothered with the associated hassle. There's one for sale at Surrey Smart Centre but seems a touch steep...

And yes, not to worry, have a garage ready and waiting

Comment

Hi
                  I have had mine for 2 1/2 years, paid just over £7000 in a private sale, it had done 1800 miles. Now 4500mls and I have enjoyed every one.
                  The paint issue effects the tridion and as Tony says its like acne. Rob (Brabus) tried to get compensation from smart/merc but nothing. It has only affected one section of the tridion. It only appeared last year after I had to leave it out, under a proper, fitted, car cover for 3 weeks in January. Then this year, after Jan in the garage, covered, it has got worse. It almost seems like blisters with water under the paint! Grey/silver polish helps but it is going to need spraying soon. If you can find one they are great fun, I use mine all year round as long as its not raining!!
                  Rob

Comment

Originally posted by swissheavy View Post
                    Blimey! Didn't realise there were so many for sale on the mainland. Not sure I can be bothered with the associated hassle.
                    There is no hassle - fly to Europe, buy one, drive it back on temporary insurance (done on chassis number, or if in Germany temporary insurance and numberplates), change lights, MoT it, apply for registration, get reg, change insurance from chassis plate to reg and away you go!

If I was saving a grand or more and had so much choice, it's what I'd do - but Ive only exported three cars and imported two.

Campbell
                    sigpic
                    DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

Comment

Originally posted by Messerschmitt Owner View Post
                      There is no hassle - fly to Europe, buy one, drive it back on temporary insurance (done on chassis number, or if in Germany temporary insurance and numberplates), change lights, MoT it, apply for registration, get reg, change insurance from chassis plate to reg and away you go!

If I was saving a grand or more and had so much choice, it's what I'd do - but Ive only exported three cars and imported two.

Campbell
                      You forgot the speedo :wag: and do you know how to take the front off a 'blade? Hence my comment re a RHD market car.

Comment

Originally posted by J500ANT View Post
                        You forgot the speedo :wag: and do you know how to take the front off a 'blade? Hence my comment re a RHD market car.
                        tippex on the dash!

Seriously, most garages wouldn't notice the lack of mph figures! I can do the conversion in my head anyway from km/h to mph. It isn't difficult.

Finding a UK-spec car will be difficult, hence the option of going abroad.
                        sigpic
                        DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

Comment

I am so glad to see that the prices are going up I paid only a fraction of these prices for mine when it was less than 18 months old.

Insurance is a doddle, lets just say I pay much less than Tony and I have my wife on the insurance and she is only 26 but that is with LV, some companies will not touch it so be warned.

The paint is an issue but I have not given up on Smart yet and will keep fighting them.

As for the door lock issue there was a little known preventative recall when the cars first came out for a FREE fix to the mechanism, only us very long standing owners know about this and Smart wont tell you unless you ask so dont be alarmed.

You can use them all year round and even in the rain, I have and still do. In fact my car will be out and about this Friday for Comic Relief come rain or shine.

Oh and one last thing, no matter where you go people will want to speak to you about it so don't buy one if you are shy

Comment

Originally posted by J500ANT View Post
                            Taking the front off a Crossblade is a doddle, the chap asking the questions is only up the road from me in Sheffield so I am sure I could help him do it if he wasn't confident.

Comment

Originally posted by BRABUS View Post
                              As for the door lock issue there was a little known preventative recall when the cars first came out for a FREE fix to the mechanism, only us very long standing owners know about this and Smart wont tell you unless you ask so dont be alarmed.
                              Care to share further details, on the off chance us Crossblade owners can get this preventative recall done?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X