Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can 44 Brabus be remapped? Need more power

Originally posted by treezajane
    Tony is right you cant get it done on a forfour unless its a diesel!
    Again I wouldn't take that as a definate.

Remaps for the Mitsubishi Colt CZT (Brabus wimpy brother) are supposedly almost complete & seeing as it uses the same ecu type then it'll only require a slight tweak to the CZT remap to have a brabus one.

In fact you'd be better off keeping an eye on any CZT mods full stop as again most would only require slight adjustments to apply to the Brabus.

It was said in the early days that a dump valve was almost impossible to fit on a CZT / Brabus coz it kept throwing the engine light up & cutting power etc.. , now there seems to be a few companies offering fully working dump valves.

In all fairness though the Brabus is a rapid piece of kit already but it never hurts to squeeze a few extra BHP out where possible.

As been suggested, get your Brab running on V-power 99ron & get a decent sports air filter for the time being & keep an eye on the CZT remappers.

Comment

I would have thought the engine was quite highly tuned anyway with that power output from a 1.5! But even so, I guess it wouldn't hurt to go for more if you can!

Comment

more power is not hard........ just add a bigger jap turbo :p

Comment

Originally posted by ZorroReturns
          more power is not hard........ just add a bigger jap turbo :p
          True but with bigger turbo comes bigger turbo lag.

also the size of the standard turbo fitted in the Brab forfour is of a fair size already, with how cramped the engine bay is I couldn't see where you could put a bigger turbo.

Comment

isn't it a bi turbo??

JJ

www.forfour.co.uk (tech 454) - www.quidco.com/user/417377/1833011/ (free £)

Comment

Originally posted by problemchild1976
              isn't it a bi turbo??

JJ
              I wish it was !

no it's a single large turbo.

Comment

must have been a dream i had then

JJ

www.forfour.co.uk (tech 454) - www.quidco.com/user/417377/1833011/ (free £)

Comment

Originally posted by kaizer
                  True but with bigger turbo comes bigger turbo lag.

also the size of the standard turbo fitted in the Brab forfour is of a fair size already, with how cramped the engine bay is I couldn't see where you could put a bigger turbo.
                  the engine bay is far from cramped.......... remove half the induction piping and you will make alot more room. also the brabus turbo is same as turbo in CZT

Comment

I am disapointed in the attitudes of well known 'tuning' companies who I have approached via the phone and in person at shows such as MPH and the SMART L2B run.

They all go, "Why would we work with that, it's been stopped production" etc.

Well, news for you guys, a lot of cars stop production and the tuning scene just grows.

So thank you very much 'SmartsRus', NOT, unhelpful load of :censor:

Anyway, back on topic... The car is a standard car, all cars can be modified, especially Jappers as this is based on. As a previous owner of a highly modified MR2 the following non-visual should be possible:

1) Brake line work and other caliper work including Brembo brakes, Goodridge braided lines etc.

2) Airfilter work as mentioned above

3) Turbo upgrade coupled with intercooler changes and water-injection straight into the CC/IC.

4) Exhaust upgrade assuming that there's a CAT somewhere in the Brabrus that you don't mind removing with the possibility of manifold and other engine internal work.

5) Remap of the ECU. I suggest the Colt CZT remap will work, or eventually Blitz or someone will do a CZT themselves and it'll be retro'd onto Smart 44.

Anyway, it depends on how much you want to modify your car. A tuning house will do it, it'll just cost a bomb. What is a pity is that because this is a new car we've not seen values drop enough to allow the people who do this in their own time and on their own bat to get involved.

I seriously miss my MR2 because I could go on the forums (www.imoc.co.uk) and read about the latest mods someone has actually built themselves. We weren't stuck waiting on some half-assed companies.

Since the Fourfour is based on a Jap tubbie car, I expect modifications to increase as the CZT Colt becomes a tuning car. However the cost is likely to be high and the more basic garages like Smarts4Us aren't going to bother because of the small differences they'd need to learn between CZT and F4.

The fact in the end is that on the internet there are modified 44 with more power, there is the concept car. We shouldn't give up hope just because of same lame companies.

Comment

Originally posted by axisofunity

1) Brake line work and other caliper work including Brembo brakes, Goodridge braided lines etc.

2) Airfilter work as mentioned above

3) Turbo upgrade coupled with intercooler changes and water-injection straight into the CC/IC.

4) Exhaust upgrade assuming that there's a CAT somewhere in the Brabrus that you don't mind removing with the possibility of manifold and other engine internal work.

5) Remap of the ECU. I suggest the Colt CZT remap will work, or eventually Blitz or someone will do a CZT themselves and it'll be retro'd onto Smart 44.

OK, have you seen my forfour???

1) We have got grooved discs & low dust pads so far, tbh they stop pretty well so haven't gone the braided hoses route yet.

2) I run with a K&N, Gav has a carbon fibre cone filter on his. More coming soon.....watch this space!

3) Not done as mine is a CDi & Gav's a 1.3 petrol.

4) Remus already do one and we have another in development should be ready soon.

5) We have asked around the Mitzi tuners & seem to be drawing a bit of a blank on this. BIG can do the CDi though.

Hope that helps as it shows we are at least trying!

Kate

Comment

Kate tell me more about this carbon fibre cone filter ?

Any idea on cost including fitting ?

I assume there's no issues fitting it on a Brabus forfour ?

Comment

thing is - they've sold 245-270 Brabi in the UK - if one in ten wants a map then that's 27 cars tops - and it ain't worth the development work!

Why not make the car lighter - that'll help it go faster.

Campbell
                          sigpic
                          DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

Comment

Mitsubishi's Japanese website shows a new Ralliart version of the Colt, perhaps Ralliart may have some tuning info. that could be tranferable to the Forfour.

Incidentally, this new Colt, the Ralliart Type R, is only £9500 new in Japan.

Lucky them!

Comment

But the ralliart colt is more of a cosmetic upgrade than a performance one.

From what I read they have upped the colts 150BHP to 170BHP but then that would only nearly bring it in line with the Brabus 177BHP.

Does a more free flowing exhaust give a decent BHP increase ?

Also if a larger turbo is fitted does it HAVE to have an ecu upgrade too or will the ecu adjust itself to the extra power from the bigger turbo ?

As for weight reducing I'm struggling to think what would help reduce weight other than taking the back seats out? , I know my spare tyre weighs 10KG, would that help ?

Comment

seats are probably 30kg, carpet too, stereo, sun visor on passenger side, change the alloys for lighter ones, swap seats for lighter ones, roof lining, bling, etc
                                sigpic
                                DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X