EXP throttle body

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EXP throttle body

Suppose this mod is only just started out though ?? Will get more people trying it with time. I still swear by it would be very intresting to get some dyno results V the standard body.

Comment

I bought a Silicone Hose Straight Reducer - ID 51>45mm

I only stretched the thing over as I didn't want to wait until today (from friday) to do it.

Also, the same place i got the reducer sell Joiners. Basically a metal pipe sitting between 2 silicone pipes/hoses

That plus the reducer... i think you have a working solution at £20 ish... for anyone with Forge pipes.
      Last edited by Khalifa; 31-08-11, 02:13 PM.

Comment

certainly needs a new remap. car is smooth now, power is available without the kick (my torque curves are fine thanks)

But something like this needs a tweak.

Also, slight temperment on the idle revs occasionally. Maybe sticky throttle. Might open it up and give it a clean.

Any thoughts?

Comment

reducer, joiner, 3 new clamps £22.42 less shipping and VAT from Forge (ordered two days ago!)

Comment

OK, got my 51mm to 45mm straight reducer today and fitted throttle body to car.

Car idled all over place ;was 'hunting' up and down rev. range.I took off the earth lead for 15mins. and refitted.Car ran OK but then started hunting again when left to idle.

I took earth lead off for 30 mins. and re-fitted .Car seemed OK so took it for short blast up the dual carriageway to warm up and test.Car felt great;definately nippier and the gear changes are so much quicker/smoother.Parked car on drive and it started to hunt again !

Warning triangle and engine management light came on and stayed on and car would not rev - arghh !!

Disconnected battery again (this time the positive/live lead - does this make a difference ?).Re-connected and all seems normal but too dark/risky to go for a spin now.I'll leave it 'till morning and see if it has sorted itself.

Any thoughts on what is happening?

Do you normally need to reset several times ?

Should I have removed live lead to re-set the memory ?

Khalifa seems to be having idling problems too.......

Comment

Are the contacts clean and good on the throttle position sensor? do you have a vac/air leak?

Try spraying carb cleaner around all the pipes and fittings while car is idling, you will spot a leak.

Comment

Fitted it today only disconnected the earth lead before fitting.
                Touch wood no problem at the moment.

Got myself a 54-51 reducer and push the forge(50mm O/D) pipe all the way to the middle of the reducer, then trim about 20mm off the throttle body end of the reducer, clamped both ends, Job done.

Thanks for the throttle body Khalifa.
                Last edited by A18 BAU; 31-08-11, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JBW View Post
                  OK, got my 51mm to 45mm straight reducer today and fitted throttle body to car.

Car idled all over place ;was 'hunting' up and down rev. range.I took off the earth lead for 15mins. and refitted.Car ran OK but then started hunting again when left to idle.

I took earth lead off for 30 mins. and re-fitted .Car seemed OK so took it for short blast up the dual carriageway to warm up and test.Car felt great;definately nippier and the gear changes are so much quicker/smoother.Parked car on drive and it started to hunt again !

Warning triangle and engine management light came on and stayed on and car would not rev - arghh !!

Disconnected battery again (this time the positive/live lead - does this make a difference ?).Re-connected and all seems normal but too dark/risky to go for a spin now.I'll leave it 'till morning and see if it has sorted itself.

Any thoughts on what is happening?

Do you normally need to reset several times ?

Should I have removed live lead to re-set the memory ?

Khalifa seems to be having idling problems too.......
                  Im thinking of taking off and taking apart for a good internal contact clean. It might be the position sensor playing up as smart said. Remember the throttle bodies aren't new if you bought from a scrap pie. Luckily I don't drive my car during the week as I work in the city so i can be patient on this. Plus of all else fails, i'll put the other one back on.

Comment

One guy said to me that he had problems with idle and swapped the internals over from his OEM into the XEP and it was fine. Something to look into if anyone has a spare OEM to play with.

Comment

I was just too eager to try out this mod and did it the quick and dirty way and the total costs for fittings was 7 euros. For the spacer I bought a scrap piece of 10mm thick rubber sheet large enough for 8 spacers and cut a rectangular piece about the size of the throttle body inlet and cut a big round hole in the middle and openings for the bolts in the corners with a sharp knife. Fortunatly a silicone hose seems to stretch a few millimeters so I bought a piece of 51mm silicone hose that I stretch at the one end over the throttle body inlet and left the old silicone hose (inner diameter 38mm, outer 46mm) that used to connect the metal IC pipe (with DV) to the original TB over the end of the metal IC pipe and just squeezed the end of the bigger silicone hose over the smaller one with a jubilee clip. The whole operation took less than 30 minutes and surprisingly enough it seems to work quite okay. Unfortunately I had to take the engine apart a week later to replace the piston rings but that's another story.

Comment

Originally posted by Evilution View Post
                        One guy said to me that he had problems with idle and swapped the internals over from his OEM into the XEP and it was fine. Something to look into if anyone has a spare OEM to play with.
                        Thats sound advice, something I was thinking of doing too.

I took it for a run today, was sweet. The occasional increase in rev when idle, but otherwise sound.

Sprayed throttle cleaner and couldn't see any leaks although its sucktion I couldn't tell for sure.

I've got contact cleaner, and gloves so over the weekend will give it a go. but i think i've damaged the head of the lower inner bolt so hopefully I can take it off without going to S2 to use robs tools... or get rob to do it and call me a tool instead.

Comment

you know the black lib with the circuit board... the 2 are different.

Is there an issue swapping to the original cover.

the circuit board looks the same with tiny details though, like different numbers etc

Comment

right, took both apart (for the sake of it)

The XEP was filthy inside, and around the seal.
                            Gave it a good clean with contact cleaner and a lint free cloth on the solid bits.

air dry on the delicate parts.

Swapped the middle cog with the original. They are the same but the original was much cleaner, if not clean period.

Put all back together, went for a spin, and seems sorted. Will keep everyone posted, but the issue of odd idle if you blip the throttle or slow manouvers (parking) seem to have been resolved.

Also, I tried to take the internals apart from the old throttle body as the spring is stronger, and I have no idea how do dislodge the lower part of the spring, so any ideas on that would be nice.
                            Cheers all

Comment

i wonder why some idle high and some dont? when i put my exp on my new engine i will give it a good clean out inside just to be on the safe side but mine seems fine still???

Comment

I put it down to dirt.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X