Tuning my 450 in steps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning my 450 in steps

Hi. I'm totally new here and not a native speaker, so sorry if I'm posting in a wrong place or messing up grammar. So getting back to the point. I own a 2003 Passion (Mk7, 700cc, 61bhp stock) with Brabus ehxaust and 113.000km on the clock. The engine was totally rebuilt 15k ago, so I think right now it's quite a good moment to spice it up a bit. Now the question is - how can I (if it's possible, but from what I've read already, it looks to be) raise engine power to ~120bhp ? Before doing that I'd like to get better front and discs rear brakes, and then divide the whole tuning into steps, so that I won't have to throw 10kŁ at once. What should I buy and in what order (and even better - where, or from which manufacturer) ? On my list of things I'd like to have in the finished project are :

- brakes
    - oil cooler (either from S-mann or from BiG)
    - intercooler (BiG ?)
    - clutch and flywheel
    - bigger turbo (BiG ?)
    - air filter (I guess it's a complete air flow system : http://www.rs-parts.com/onlineshop/i...tersystem.html)
    - dump valve
    - intercooler hoses and tlk pipe
    - camshafts ( BiG)
    - flowed head (BiG)

Am I missing something, or is it too much ? Also while looking through rs-parts show I've also came across something like this :
    http://www.rs-parts.com/onlineshop/i...kw-112-ps.html but not sure how much this is really worth, theugh it seems to have modified injectors (that I haven't seen anywhere else) and software.

I don't have any upper limit, but I'd like to spend around 2k each 2-3 months.

Re: Tuning my 450 in steps

We do 6 pot front brakes along with a rear disc kit
    Titanium exhaust
    Suspension
    All engine parts

What every you need in one place
    Developed by BIG
    Www.BigPerformance.Co.Uk

020 328 REMAP (02032873627)
    STAR diagnostics. Remapping. Dyno. Key coding
    TAN codes. SCN codes. Body shop. Trimming. Crash repairs

Comment

I recommend you fit a standard Cdi/ Roadster oil cooler. Evilution has a good guide as usual. Results in a much cheaper, neater and less cluttered installation than any of the poor after market options.

There is no improvement but rather a performance worsening by fitting free flow air filter and silicon pipes. Standard paper filter and duct are more than adequate but you may improve slightly by removing any internal casting flash and ensuring rubber seal at connection to turbo is in good condition and fitted right.

Also no point upgrading brakes. Maintaining your existing brakes in a good condition is enough.

Comment

Originally posted by sasklacz View Post
        What should I buy
        A Lotus Elise -or similar. Then spend your time and money driving the wheels off of it.

Unless you're in love with fortwos, then you would be better off buying something that can already do what you want your smart to.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrumbleux View Post
          A Lotus Elise -or similar. Then spend your time and money driving the wheels off of it.

Unless you're in love with fortwos, then you would be better off buying something that can already do what you want your smart to.
          In fact I am I have a GT-R R34 as a track car, so now I want to have more fun from daily driving in my 4-2. Also I don't plan to sell it so investing some money won't hurt.

imho Esprit was the last true Lotus and not a Focus-powered pseudo sports car.

Comment

- oil cooler
            - clutch and flywheel
            - bigger turbo
            - camshafts ( BiG)
            All of these parts you should transplant from a Roadster.
            The standard intercooler cannot be made any better for the size. If you want better, get a Brabus Roadster charge cooler.
            I wouldn't bother too much with the dump valve, especially if you are going to use a full size one.

My 1st 450 started off as a 61bhp pure. I put on the Roadster turbo, Roadster camshaft, Janspeed exhaust to match the larger turbo outlet, Roadster yellow injectors, Roadster TIK, had it remapped and it made 119bhp. You can easily achieve this power output for a fraction of what you are expecting to spend.

As for the brakes, just fit good pagid discs and pads and have the calipers reconditioned so they work properly. It really is all you need for fast road driving.

Comment

imho Esprit was the last true Lotus and not a Focus-powered pseudo sports car.
              Elises had engines from Rover then Toyota and the Elise saved the company - something that can not be said of the Esprit - good or otherwise.

pseudo sports car.
              What's 'pseudo' about an Elise? Not enough horsepower for you or don't you like corners?
              Last edited by Thrumbleux; 12-03-14, 06:59 PM.

Comment

As Evil says, you don't need to put a lot into bump up the performance quite a bit, but it is fun to try and get the most possible from it although obviously it is diminishing returns for ever greater investment .

The intercoolers main problem is its restricted inlet and outlet (not so on the roadster charge cooler), but this is not so much of an issue unless you are really going for every last drop!

I can make the stock brakes fade if I'm really trying, but only because its very hilly around here.

Personally I prefer the air cooled aftermarket thermostatic oil coolers on the smart because I have found that the water temp can climb above 100C on long Autobahn runs with the water/oil cooler (something that does not happen with my aftermarket air/oil cooler fitted). This suggests to me that when pushed the coolant system is barely coping. Coolant temp also gets very hot in traffic. The additional oil the aftermarket cooler adds to the system is no bad thing either. But the stock water/oil cooler does speed up the warming of the oil.

I'd suggest adding a cheap catch tank between the valve cover vent and TIK, it won't add performance but will keep your intercooler and induction from filling with oil

My experience is that if you want to go above 120hp or 1.5bar (above atmospheric) then Forged rods and pistons should be installed to guarantee longevitey

Cheers!
                Last edited by Kapt. Q; 12-03-14, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Thinking about other options - is it possible to do a swap of roadster/ brabus roadster engine to 450 ?

Comment

Thinking about other options - is it possible to do a swap of roadster/ brabus roadster engine to 450 ?
                    Certainly is, FQ101.co.uk has a article on this I think. However, since the engine in a 450 mk7 is essentially the same as a Roadster engine (barring any uprated components a Roadster would get over a 450), it might not be worth it to swap out but simply improve the engine already in your car with performance parts. Less risky too since you know the history of the engine in your car.
                    Last edited by Ocracoke; 13-03-14, 01:52 PM. Reason: Update info.

Comment

The roadster engine has different valves, pistons & rings over the 450 mk7 engine - plus oil cooler.

Hence why it typically does 2x-3x the mileage between rebuilds.

Comment

I plan to change pistons and rods for forged ones anyway, so probably swap doesn't make sense.

Comment

As i understand it the fortwo's arnt the best for handling and look like they would have a lot of roll and potentially tip at highet speed due to the height and tiny dimensions.....i could be wrong as i've never driven one personally. If this or some of it is true why would you want to make it a lot faster than it was meant to?
                          Fair do's on a roadster and forfour as they handle brilliantly and unless something goes seriously wrong you aint tipping a roady

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmyrinse View Post
                            As i understand it the fortwo's arnt the best for handling and look like they would have a lot of roll and potentially tip at highet speed due to the height and tiny dimensions.....i could be wrong as i've never driven one personally. If this or some of it is true why would you want to make it a lot faster than it was meant to?
                            Fair do's on a roadster and forfour as they handle brilliantly and unless something goes seriously wrong you aint tipping a roady
                            Body roll can be quite noticeable but if you fit a 20 mm rear anti roll bar it helps - a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by bob-in-dav View Post
                              Body roll can be quite noticeable but if you fit a 20 mm rear anti roll bar it helps - a lot!
                              Where do you get a 20mm bar from? - aftermarket tuner?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X