Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart 450 Clutch faulty

Recently I own a Smart CDI 450/2000.
    Among other problems (eg. Motor blocked at hand but functional turnkey), and the clutch is faulty.
    Removed engine gearbox and want to undo the clutch (in chunks) .How can?
    I mention that the car can not climb a small ledge though the engine speed does not decrease much (eg. 1500-> 1200 rpm). Or to start on gravel!

Other than the language barrier - I take it from the post above English is not your first language. Don't worry, I understood what you are asking so the English is perfectly good enough for that..

I would point you in the direction of this:-
    http://www.fq101.co.uk/how-to-guides...ch-change.html

It explains how to change the clutch.

You will need these types of sockets to get to the 3 bolts you have to undo:-
    http://www.fq101.co.uk/how-to-guides...ch-change.html

As there is not a lot of room for a normal socket and drive handle.

John

Comment

There are 4 bolts holding flywheel to mounting plate on the 450 Cdi. The bolts have a 17 mm hex. Get a special flex head spanner like this one:
      shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwhZtRKOBjiaeISDRabtJjNIq82di-9qoagsal2HgErqr52eluat1zgJWExXjQ77AeyIjncgs4&usqp=CAY.jpg
      Bahco FHS1617 Flex Head Spanner 16-17mm

or make your own tool by welding a standard 17 mm socket to a flat bar or welding a stub 1/2" square bar to a flat bar. Your tool can then accommodate any size 1/2" socket.

Comment

I recommend you check clutch release fork for wear in way of its sockets when you now have the opportunity. The photos in below link shows John's fork. A new release fork does not cost much but you can easily weld repair a holed or worn release fork.

http://smartmaniacs.co.uk/forum/the-...gh-clutch-fork

Most clutch operation trouble is due to faulty clutch actuator or broken cables going to clutch actuator. Are you sure that is not the root of your troubles?

Comment

Would the cars inability to go past 1200-1500rpm and not move on gravel be due to ESP ? Maybe ESP thinks the wheels are spinning and preventing the car from doing anything involving power ?

Comment

The OP sent me a message asking how to open out the Cdi clutch.
            • First remove flywheel/ clutch assembly.
            • Equip yourself with a good pair of work gloves..
            • Place a plywood board or chipboard on a solid concrete floor.
            • Be determined and bang the flywheel forcefully onto the board.
            • Clutch assembly will drop out.
            Assembling it is more complicated. I did mine in a hydraulic press. Automatic wear compensation mechanism has to be set to zero. That is done the conventional way.

Comment

heinkeljb
              Unfortunately using Google Translate.

tolsen
              Yesterday - removed gearbox - on this occasion I found: fork and bearing pressure are ok but clutch faulty (torn piece).
              Today - engine removed - on this occasion we found: 1) probably faulty distribution system 2) faulty alternator - bearing faulty (around here they say 'balls count') 3) AC without R134a - no pressure, no trace. So ....
              A clip defective clutch and engine fault, maybe it's interesting:
              https://plus.google.com/photos/11282...18205146693954
              I have to apply the method the recommended, but not crack?

markinnz
              Googly jokes and when no want.

Comment

We can't see any photos. Perhaps they are private?

Comment

One problem you will be faced with when assembling the Cdi clutch is to what depth in the flywheel the pressure plate housing is supposed to sit. Regrettably, I did not measure mine before disassembly so this is something you should do first.
                  There is no physical stop for pressure plate housing so I used three short pieces 3.2 mm diameter welding rods as stops. These were evenly positioned 120 degrees apart and are still inside my clutch.

Comment

We have to measure the thickness of the package.
                    What role does pin broke in the photo? DSCF1193.JPG

Comment

That is part of the automatic wear compensation sensing mechanism.

Looks like one or more of the three straps that transfer torque from pressure plate to flywheel have broken causing pressure plate to turn somewhat.
                      Repair may be possible but you have to make your own parts like rivets and straps plus you have to work out how to reset the wear compensation mechanism to zero.

Suggest you start by drilling out the three rivets that attach torque straps to pressure plate.

Comment

When you release the pressure plate ( by removing the heads of the 3 rivets) what happens - jump board to operator or
                        before all the assembly clutch separates the engine ?
                        Intuition that the 3 rivets sustain pressure plate . So is it ?
                        Today was a long day at work and now dark . The engine is in a courtyard at 6 miles from the city. My garage is virtual now .
                        They also have two Honda NTV650 / 650cmc @ 50HP but torque is low to motorcycles only 52Nm for NTV. But in the future development subject .
                        After I opened / repaired clutch and I can handle the rest .

Comment

https://plus.google.com/112827018205...18205146693954

Comment

I assumed clutch is already out. You must remove flywheel from engine, then remove pressure plate and friction disc and at last drill out the three rivets. Nothing will come flying out. Keep track of all bits especially springs.

Comment

Look more at the link in my post - You need to undo the 3 bolts holding the clutch pac - (the bit in your video you keep turning) - from the engine. The 3 bolts are accessed though a hole behind the bit you were filming at about 8;00 clock position.

John

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X