Cabrio Stuck Open

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabrio Stuck Open

Hi all. It was a beautiful day (3 days ago) and decided to put the top all the way down on my 2001 450. After being assured by the dealer it had been repaired, only one side of top locked, the other is still loose, biggest problem, it now will not release with the usual beeping and C message. I checked the manual to see how to release it manually but it refers to a special key - which I do not have - and an orange arrow to show direction of travel, which mine does not have. Perhaps the manual I have is for a newer model, I did not buy the car new.

Can anyone advise how to release the locks manually. Weather is no longer so nice.

The special key is just a long, cranked allen key.

I've done a manual rewind with a standard allen key - sorry I can't remember what size.

Comment

The keys only cost a few pounds from dealer.

Comment

4 mm hex is what you need. A pair of emergency keys cost £2.86 from Smart when I bought my set in 2010.

Comment

Don't know if this adds anything to help but....according to the handbook I have the unlocking is by inserting the two keys into ''apertures on the motor covers'' then turning both keys simultaneously ACW ''up to the stop point''. A click sound should signal unlocking. From there remove keys, engage softtop with B post then use the keys again to fully close softtop.

Handbook describes keys as hexagonal (ie Allen). Whether one will suffice or they really do mean 'simultaneously' I do not know but two would speed up the final closing.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. The allen keys are no problem, I have them. Motor is working fine. I think all I need to do is unlock the top so I can lift it to the rails. I am guessing the one nearest the lock is the one to try. I will see what happens.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrumbleux View Post
              unlocking is by inserting the two keys into ''apertures on the motor covers'' then turning both keys simultaneously ACW ''up to the stop point''. A click sound should signal unlocking. .
              The accompanying picture showed two covers each with a small aperture (in reality holes to accept the keys). It stressed using both and turning the keys to a ''stop point''.

Comment

Forgive me but there are three or four points that use a hex. none of them seem to be the right ones and I am must admit I don't seem to locate a hole for a hex to slip in. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place. Does anyone happen to have a picture or the one from the manual they could send?

Much appreciated.

Comment

Looking at the pic....two rounded off rectangular panels (landscape orientation) either side of the rear interior light(?) Around a quarter way in from their inner edges and at mid height, a hole in each. Each panel appears to have a vent either side of it.

The panels are the motor covers. If you know where the motors are located - you'll find the holes.
                  Last edited by Thrumbleux; 26-04-16, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Where the motor is, I guess that is the question. I will look tomorrow and let you know.

Comment

Hope this helps..... http://www.fq101.co.uk/how-to-guides...o-roof-control

Comment

That's great. i will try tomorrow, thanks

Comment

I have followed advice and the link above. The link explained how to use only one allen wrench. All seemed to be going ok, I heard the click at the stuck side but it did not release. Unfortunately I ran out of time - and due to the accidental interior light being on all night a dead battery. While it should not make a difference, I will first recharge the battery and try again tomorrow. If it does not release, not sure what to do next.

Comment

Sorry, but this story seems to go on forever. This morning I had the chance to try again. I rechecked the instructions and retried the locked side - the drivers side. This time there were two clicks, one on each side. The original locked side was unlocked but when I tried to lift the top to the rails the other was locked, clearly the other click. Having succeed, I figured no problem. I tried putting the wrench into the whole but could not get a fit so decided to remove the cover as I did on the original.

As I examined the space, I could see some mechanics, but no motor, it looked completely different and there was no sign of a place for the wrench. Worse, there was a loose wire, clearly disconnected, but no clear Matching connection. Most probably behind the light which I now need to take apart.

The good new is that the C message no longer appears and I can hear the motor engage, but of course it does not move since the side is locked and I am guessing the wire controls the switch so it will not release.

Since with the top down, it is a very difficult position to work on this. So two questions, is it possible there is only one motor and if I turn the first one in the opposite direction it will release the other side? Second, Is it simple to remove the rear light?

Comment

Originally posted by JOKING View Post
                              So two questions, is it possible there is only one motor
                              From http://www.fq101.co.uk/how-to-guides...o-roof-control[/QUOTE]​

''On the rare occurance that your cabrio roof motor fails or if you have twin motors, they come out of sync with each other,''

Reading that implies either single or twin motors.

Originally posted by JOKING View Post
                              and if I turn the first one in the opposite direction it will release the other side?

The handbook (sorry, but can't get a decent scan or I'd post it) says both keys to be turned simultaneously ACW ie, in the same direction.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X