after market steering wheel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• after market steering wheel

hi, i plan stripping my new roadster and giving it a racer feel, i want to fit a momo steering wheel!

i see that rs in germany sell them, is there anywhere in the uk that sells them and does anyone know how to stop all the warning lights from coming on, air bag is no issue as it a simple resistor but not so sure about the asb, eps and all that other stuff as its linked to the wheel!

i know this is possible as 'weasle1uk' from the roadster.net has done it (i have sent him a pm but i don't think he goes online that much)

any ideas?

Re: after market steering wheel

If you fit a steering wheel without an airbag to a car that should have an airbag then under the new MOT regulations the car will fail.....

Not being a killjoy but there seems to be no way round this nowadays and I think it's all ****.

I'll try and find the bit in the vosa MOT guidance

JJ

www.forfour.co.uk (tech 454) - www.quidco.com/user/417377/1833011/ (free £)

Comment

Welcome back Pocket from v-dub land or wherever it was you went!

Comment

:iagree:

I was gobsmacked when you parted with that rather special white coupe, another name for the roll call
        of roadies back in the fold.

IIRC the air bag light can be over-ridden by fitting a diode (though it has to meet a certain specification)

The issue, though, is passing an MOT. The start up sequence may very well show the airbag light NOT on and as the tester should be looking for it that means a fail.

Which only leaves you the dubious option of changing wheels over ( and resetting lights) every MOT time

Comment

It's not just about the light though now - physically it needs to have the airbag.

Same with a catalytic converter - irrelevant of whether it passes the emissions test, if the car doesn't have one but was manufactured with one then it will fail damn those EU types!!

JJ

Comment

IF the light works (which I doubt) then I cannot see them physically checking for one.

Still means your insurance is invalid though

Comment

the MOT is ono issue and the air bag is easy to fix

but what about the ESP as all the junk for that is in the steering wheel!

I can find a OMP boss for the 99-03 smart car and smart city coupe would this fit the roadster?

Comment

If you have taken it out of the standard wheel then yup but a momo wheel that doesn't have an airbag is quite an obvious one......if it can take an airbag then fit one

JJ

Comment

an airbag light on is not an MOT fail anyway as my golf has had it on for the last 3 MOT's

Comment

It isn't (until the 1st April) when it becomes a fail

JJ

Comment

Originally posted by problemchild1976 View Post
                      If you have taken it out of the standard wheel then yup but a momo wheel that doesn't have an airbag is quite an obvious one......if it can take an airbag then fit one

JJ
                      im not taking anything out of standard wheel i will be replacing the whole wheel with a momo!

Comment

Originally posted by problemchild1976 View Post
                        It isn't (until the 1st April) when it becomes a fail

JJ
                        ok cool, but a bit of tape or removing the bulb will soon fix that, lol

Comment

Unless you don't have an airbag when the car was made with one

Have a look on the vosa site - I'm mobile at moment and can't do it easily...

JJ

Comment

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/cr...sandguides.htm

5.4 Supplementary Restraint Systems (SRS)

Method of Inspection

1. As far as practicable, check that all airbags fitted as original equipment are present and not obviously defective.
                            2. Turn on the ignition and check the presence and operation of any Supplementary Restraint System (SRS) malfunction indictor lamp(s) (MIL).

Reason for Rejection

1. An airbag obviously missing or defective.
                            (Note: A passenger airbag that has been switched off is not a Reason for Rejection.)
                            2. A Supplementary Restraint System (SRS) malfunction indicator lamp:
                            · inoperative
                            · indicating a system malfunction.

YOU HAVE 1 DAY LEFT TO COMPLY - haha!!

JJ
                            Last edited by problemchild1976; 31-03-12, 03:39 PM.

Comment

i will you have to buy a £900 brabus wheel then!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X