Key is reluctant to work.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Key is reluctant to work.

It must have been one of the very rare few, all the ones I know of which haven't been a post on a forum by some one, have all left people stranded, and they were quite adamant that this was the very first time that that key had had the nine flash response, leaving people quite annoyed with smart at this glaring failure of the failing battery warning.

In my case it was not recoverable by using a new battery (had them at work and was first thing I tried before getting missus to drive to work with spare key - not best pleased as it was 23:30 when I phoned her!) I had to have the car/keys resynced.

Maybe you Norwegian folks playing with your MB-Star systems have inadvertantly set something when playing that makes it functional? it'd be quite interesting if that were the case.

Comment

Originally posted by madDan View Post
      In my case it was not recoverable by using a new battery (had them at work and was first thing I tried before getting missus to drive to work with spare key - not best pleased as it was 23:30 when I phoned her!) I had to have the car/keys resynced.
      Did You have 9 flashes?

Jörgen

Comment

Originally posted by krassegrand View Post
        Did You have 9 flashes?

Jörgen
        Yes and I could not unlock the car never mind start it, the owner manual (page 1-6) says that it is that the key has approx 100 more uses was most definitely wrong.

Although I guess 0 could be approx 100
        Last edited by madDan; 27-01-13, 08:02 PM.

Comment

You are righ!
          It does sound like it was out of sync. I would have thought that it did not comunicate at all when it was out of sync.

Maybe it would be safer to change the battery before trouble rises.

Jörgen

Comment

It is odd because, other smart Roady keys do not activate any flashing etc, so it obviously does recognise the key, but it's almost like it is once the low battery warning kicks in then it is like yes I know this key but hey ho stump up some money as I refuse to play anymore.

I just change my batteries every year now.

Which reminds me I really should do my other car it's been 5 years on the same battery!

Comment

Is it possible that the out-of-sync problem is related to software
              not beeing fully updated ? I faintly remember reading somewhere that there
              was an update fixing such a problem (mind you, many years ago).
              Maybe worth to check if the car has the latest code-level.
              Personaly I have never had this problem.
              Bjorn

Comment

I have only had it the once in 9 1/2 years and 135,000 miles of ownership.

I would love to know what some of these updates are as a list of items, I can't recall any that are immobiliser / central locking related in the UK being discussed before, maybe mainland Europe had it and we didn't?

Comment

I just had a look at SACKIs site to see if he mentions such an update.
                  Sure enough, he has that covered, and says the problem can be fixed
                  at any smartcenter by loading an update (no spesification on which update).
                  Bjorn

Comment

Interestingly, on Sackis site it specifies 8 times for battery indication and 9 times for lost coding.

Very interesting possible reset procedure not needing coding too. (it works for some cars apparently)

http://www.jhwus.info/page2/page40/page204/page204.html

To sum up if changing the key battery doesn't help but you still get the 9 flashes you can try the following before taking your car for a key code at the smart centre.

1 remove battery leads -ve first then +ve second
                    2 Hold the two disconnected cables together
                    3 With cables held together insert key and turn to position 1 and leave there for a minute (nut and bolt could be used to hold cables together if solo)
                    4 After a minute remove the key
                    5 Then refit the battery leads - first the +ve and then the -ve

After a reset like this some have managed to open the Roady and even start the engine on the key that had lost its coding.

It'd be interesting if someone does loose their coding follows this and it works.

Comment

This will go in my archive to be used when needed, hopefully never!

Jörgen

Comment

I think Glynn at Cumbria Smart Cars has recommended this procedure in the past and someone on smartz said it worked for them.

I have only had it the once but given the horrific experience I had that day with greenflag sending an auto electrician to try to re-sync the key (who incorrectly told me my SAM was goosed and quoted me £850 to replace it the same day if I wanted) followed by a 3hr wait for recovery and a 2 hr journey home, I'd personally be happy to give this a go if/when it happens again.

Comment

Trouble is with these things it's always someone else said someone else had it work.

We need it from the horses mouth so to speak to know exactly what the symptoms were and what steps they used.

Half the time they say the car was doing something and it turns out it wasn't as originally indicated when you get to the bottom of it.

Getting the low down on the software update would be good.

Comment

The key fob radio receiver is located under carpet just below hand grip part of handbrake.

If you have or have had water under your carpets for many years, the high humidity environment will destroy the electronic components under there that aren't airtight. The radio receiver and SE drive unit come to mind. The disconnecting car battery to reset SAM unit probably just clears buffer of spurious signals received from the failing radio receiver. Thereby making it operational again for a while.

The repeating signal from holding down the boot release button might have the same effect. You could also try the lock button as car will more readily accept lock signal than unlock. However make sure you are sitting inside car or have an open window before trying lock button. Note that doors will always open from inside (as a safety feature they are cable operated).

If your only issue is key fob's randomly not working (no other electrical gremlins), it is most likely the radio receiver, not the SAM.

Comment

Well!
                              I have found (later) that it is not random, it is when the key is cold!
                              I was working on the car with the key in the ignition lock some time ago, when it was still bloody cold, and when I was to start the car the key did not work. I held it in my hand for a short while and voila! It worked.
                              I seems it does not work when it is at a lower temperature and always work it the temp is higher.
                              We now carry both keys (also the spare) with us when driving.

Jörgen

Comment

I have now when it got cold again had this problem back and decided to change the batteri and that seems to have solved it!
                                I did never have 9 flashes.

Jörgen

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X