Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes they do take 13cm units.

Comment

yeap 13cms! when i get the next smart i will take some newer hi-res ones so people can get a better idea! the only real hard bit is getting the dash back on!

Comment

Good stuff guys - thanks. I ordered up the bass bins yesterday quoting the part numbers in this thread. It has been very difficult for the parts dept finding even the simplest bits so far. I detected the relief in his voice when I told him I had the numbers )

I'll give them a liberal coat of dynamat before fitting.

Gary.

Comment

Im confused...
          Are the Bassbins seperate speakers?
          If you have the bass bins and the speakers, where do you connect them to?(What wires?)
          Coz on my one i have 2 Regular speaker wires, and 2 potential tweeter wires.(potential, as there is nowt in them yet)

Comment

ok the bass bins are just the plastic boxes which you fit 13cm speakers into to replace the tiny little speakers which come as standard on new smarts.
            what you do is fix them in place and with your new 13cm speakers use the wires from the old tiny ones and connect them up this way. if you go for components then use the other wires for the tweeters as all will be plugged into the wiring loom going to the stereo.

the standard speakers in the smart are too small for the bass bins so you will need your own.

Comment

So the bass bins are glamourised speaker holders?

Comment

Has Anyone got the part numbers for the LHD bins?

Comment

nope but speak to smart they should have it in there books!

Comment

After doing this on Saturday, some extra info mainly (for LHD owners!)

After unscrewing the 4 screws around the centre console and removing the speedo (another 4 screws), there is an extra screw for us LHD owners, you will need to remove the cowling under the steering colum to get at it (on the left side of the steering wheel)

Couple of other points...

To remove the under stereo tray I pulled it out and gave it a yank at an upward angle and it came out, it has also been suggested to squeeze the sides in.

And... to remove the warning triangle section, prize a small flat head screw driver at the back of it (the end pointing at the windscreen) it will then pop out!

Tips on getting the dash back in, get the dash roughly in place lift your end up so the dash is at an angle so you can locate it, once in place lower and push at the same time! - got it in on the 3rd attempt!

It's also worth noting when you are trying to fit the bass bins you will need two extra screws per bin and also a nut (unsure of the size, I was just lucky to have two in the tool box! - saying this I couldn't find anywhere to screw the LHD bin down too, but it was secure enough with the bolt)

Hope that helps someone, this really is a worth while mod, I fitted 13" JBLs to mine and the difference is amazing!

Dave.

Comment

Is it possible to just fit better speakers in the front without bass bins - and does anyone know if, as a cheaper option, is good enough to do, or is the 30 quid for bins better?

Comment

Of course you can fit speakers without bass bins. Its real easy too. Just reach underneeth from the footwell and take the old ones our and screw in new ones!
                        The advantage is that you dont have to take the dashboard apart.
                        The dissadvantage is that speakers that size and in free air configuration have NO bass at all. If you are going to be adding a sub then you can kind of get away with it, especially if the amp running them or the CD player that will be used as a source has a built in crossover. Thus way, you can even cut off the low end frequencies that are going to the front speakers (I have mine set at 80hz) and let the sub fill the lower end frequencies.
                        If however you dont plan on using a sub, I do think that the bass bins are close to being NECESSARY...
                        Good luck.

Comment

It really is worth spending the extra money and fitting 13cm speakers, the little ones just dont make a good enough noise!

You do need the bins for the bigger speakers

Comment

LoL @ your sig Dave!!!
                            Well you can fit 13cm speakers with no boxes under the dash, that is what I have... For larger ones you do need to modify the boxes too... I have heard of people installing 16cm speakers with cutting the bass boxes.

Comment

nick, do they sound markably better than std ones (without boxes?)

Comment

Excellent guide to removal of dash.

Just a little add in. I found an extra screw mounted on the right hand side of the steering column which was the hardest part of the procedure to remove and replace otherwise a very easy job. I have a rhd pulse 2003.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X